The GBody Blazer brake upgrade question

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Yup this is a Russell steel braided brake line. Came in kit with both front soft lines and the rear soft line. My original lines were awful so this was a must when upgrading. Russell part number RUS-692100.

YMMV then, it appears some have had success with the stock one and some haven’t. I’ve heard others say the stock bracket worked too. I tried it with the stock and found that it didn’t put the brake line in a good spot without risk of it binding or getting smashed. Perhaps it’s because I have AM brake lines.
Thanks I'll check Summit out.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm using the Russell braided hoses on my setup and to be honest with you, I'm not overly thrilled with the banjo fittings they use on the lines. The stock Blazer rubber hoses use a better fitting and locking system. Both types are about the same length.
I'm also using the Blazer frame brackets as well.

Last edited:

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
I'm using the Russell braided hoses on my setup and be honest with you, I'm not overly thrilled with the banjo fittings they use on the lines. The stock Blazer rubber hoses use a better fitting and locking system. Both types are about the same length.
Because I am lazy lol do you know the adapter needed to use the blazer lines. I have the Russell lines as well and I agree about the security of the fitting on the caliper

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Because I am lazy lol do you know the adapter needed to use the blazer lines. I have the Russell lines as well and I agree about the security of the fitting on the caliper
If you're using the Blazer hoses, apparently there's no need for adapters. G-body hoses can also be used directly.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
balzer or Monte Carlo hoses are a direct fit. I'm using the Russell hoses I too i'm concerned with them not having the block that keys to to a direction on the caliper. I am always checking it for tightness.

Attachments

• PXL_20230608_213405454.jpg
    PXL_20230608_213405454.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 68

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Hey, what’s up? What upper and lower control arms are those? They look updated, shiny, and new 🤩

Heres the link to the upper arms I got.

They list for Blazer/S10 but theyre the same. Bought the same setup for the lowers and had to bore out the mounting hole for the slightly larger bolts but it was worth it. Bought all new hardware to go with it to mount. I cant seem to find the listing for the lowers but they are from ebay as well. Nothing special but compared to what was on there, a very big upgrade. I also used the bump stop from a Blazer as well, I think from an Xtreme trim is what everyone suggests.

Happy to answer any other questions about this setup as well.

mudpaws

Apprentice
Oct 26, 2010
Long Island, NY
Heres the link to the upper arms I got.

They list for Blazer/S10 but theyre the same. Bought the same setup for the lowers and had to bore out the mounting hole for the slightly larger bolts but it was worth it. Bought all new hardware to go with it to mount. I cant seem to find the listing for the lowers but they are from ebay as well. Nothing special but compared to what was on there, a very big upgrade. I also used the bump stop from a Blazer as well, I think from an Xtreme trim is what everyone suggests.

Happy to answer any other questions about this setup as well.
Thanks so much!! I’m in process of gathering parts for the modern bigger brakes.. this is a huge help! I’ll scout eBay today since I’m at the DMV 🤣

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
I did 2000 Blazer brake upgrade on fronts only of my 87 El Camino; plan to do rear upgrades later. Currently, running 87 IROC 16's all around. Initially, I thought 1/2" longer studs with 1/2" spacer was needed only in rears due to wheel offset issue. The front A-ams are part of an SC&C suspension kit which included SPC tubular upper and lower A-arms with longer ball joints on the uppers. Once I had the EC's front end aligned, I noticed interference rubbing of the tire sidewalls on the frame as well as on the Blazer brake hose brackets. In order to resolve this clearance problem, I had to run 1/2' spacers and install 1/2" longer studs on the front hubs. At present, I am using stock brake hoses but will consider switching to SS.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor