THE INFAMOUS CARPET QUESTION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Alright, being that my cutlass is out for bodywork and paint now, it's time for me to focus on the interior. I'm ready to pull the trigger on new carpet but need some advice! I know there is are tons of threads about it, but my biggest issue is:
Do i really need the kit with mass backing being that my floor will be covered in boom mat? I know the mass backing is good for sound and heat, bit that's the purpose of boom mat (which i already have ready to install). Any pro's and cons, advice would be appreciated!
Also, most people seem to go with ACC versus trim parts brand, what seems to be the census?
Thanks in advance guys!!!!
Scott

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Good question, I'll be buying a carpet soon also. I do have hushmat on my floors already, but I will be going with the mass backed anyhow.

Curious as to what others have used.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think most people get the mass backing regardless of what they have installed underneath it , no one ever complains about being too well insulated from sound and heat, the only time I could see going without it is if weight is a major concern.
I have it in the Monte and Regal and would not do without it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I think most people get the mass backing regardless of what they have installed underneath it , no one ever complains about being too well insulated from sound and heat, the only time I could see going without it is if weight is a major concern.
Where did you get your carpet from?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Weight is definitely not a concern as the cutlass won't be doing any serious racing anymore....maybe a little street light fun from time to time that's all as long as no traffic around! Preciate the responses, and along with Jim, where did you get your kit from?

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The Monte has ACC with heat insulation underneath and the Regal has new factory GM carpet.
The ACC fit well and conforms well because I had to modify the rear footwells since mine are raised 1-1/2" for exhaust clearance and also I had to cut around the roll bar.
It's been in there probably 15 years obviously not daily driven but still looks new.

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My concern was also insulation from sound and heat which my car puts out a lot of both so I was willing to add a little weight for that benefit.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
My concern was also insulation from sound and heat which my car puts out a lot of both so I was willing to add a little weight for that benefit.
Yeah my cutlass is loud and hot too with pipes tucking close to the floor...adding the weight as stated isn't a concern. Looks like stockinteriors.com sells the acc brand which seems to be the overall better brand. Thanks for the help!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I don't remember where I bought my carpet from but I have bought matching yardage from Stockinteriors for the both the Monte and Regal for the lower door panels, I like that they will send you a half dozen 2' x 2" square samples for free.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Get the mass backing. Ive used both and when I get it for my wagon I will be buying it with the backing again. Well worth the extra money. It seems to make the carpet more like OEM.
I bought mine from rockauto. They were the cheapest when I bought it last. Drop shipped to my house in 4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor