BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Also, now we know what Donovan looks like.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That car looks bad *ss Donovan.

Thanks man. It's amazing how an adjustment to the altitude can have such a major impact on the attitude.

If you think it looks bad *ss from that angle, I should post up some decent pics from the front. It looks quite sinister long and low, with that wide aggressive hood and custom headlight/smooth bumper treatment now.

I for one would not want to see THIS
Ist mockup on car (7).JPG

coming up behind me at speed in the rear view mirror!

Overall, I couldn't be more happy with the way the car is coming together. I've had this mental picture in my head for many years now of how I want it to look when it's finished, and I'm happy to be able to share its transformation with you all. You guys have a front row seat to what I eventually want to show the world, and perhaps more importantly, what it took to get there.

I can promise you there's much more to come that will only serve to further its aggressive profile, so you'll have to stay tuned in! :twisted:

Also, now we know what Donovan looks like.

Haha
Yeah, you caught me. I figured someone would mention that. I have a love/hate relationship with cameras - I love to hate 'em. I don't think I photograph well, so most pictures of with me in them are usually of me walking out of the frame.
Lol
I actually would post up a pic of me with the car(s), but I avoid cameras so much I don't even have any!
:D

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That is damn sexy D!!!! Love it! Looks so mean slammed down!

Thank you my friend! Couldn't agree more. The decision to go air ride was so much more than just to get that "killer stance", but it certainly doesn't hurt!

I've carefully chosen and invested in the suspension components I thought would work best, and that I could also afford. So naturally I'm quite looking forward to being able to put them to the test. A lot of people still to this day don't believe an air suspended vehicle can corner and handle well, but I'm going to do my best to disprove that notion.

In this case, I really do think you can have it all: A nice comfortable ride when desired, a tight, well handling platform when needed, and the wicked looks of a radically lowered ride when it's time to show off and look good. All compliments of those carefully chosen components, and air suspension.

My personal favourite setting other than the "all down", aired out look is actually preset #1, which is 10% of total suspension travel. It's about as low as you could possibly go and still be able to drive the vehicle (as long as you never have to turn the wheels!).
Lol
It looks really good in person, much moreso than on camera.

Hope you all enjoyed the video anyways. I should mention too, while I was standing out of frame on the video, I had no input or control over the car. All the adjustments you see and hear are the car levelling and adjusting itself. The controller was sitting on the hood, and I was no where near it.
Pretty cool I think!

If I have one thing I'm not totally satisfied with at this point tho, is the length of time it takes the compressors to recharge the tank. I know there's a lot of weight up front with that cast iron big block, but I'm a little disappointed at how long they run for to lift the front at this point.

I figured with those twin Viair 400C compressors the refill/recharge time would be significantly less than it is, especially considering it's only filling a 5 gallon tank. Obviously they'll suffice for now, but I may look into replacing them with ones that move a little more CFM in the future.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback man, it's always appreciated!

D.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
This is for everyone of course, but especially Opie. ;) :rofl:

Aww, Thanks Donovan. Lol.

The 'Naut is looking good.

If I have one thing I'm not totally satisfied with at this point tho, is the length of time it takes the compressors to recharge the tank. I know there's a lot of weight up front with that cast iron big block, but I'm a little disappointed at how long they run for to lift the front at this point.

I kinda thought it was a little slow too. I wonder if it has anything to do with only getting straight battery voltage? No charging is taking place so you've only got 12.5 volts. With the alternator running you'd have a little more voltage which might make the pump run a little faster. It might make a difference. At least that's what I've noticed with those little "plug into your cigarette lighter pumps". Not the same thing, I know, but the same principle. Either way, it's still a badass setup. I LOVE the way it moves!! There's no time delay with that! Lol. It just shoots up to the preset and drops in a fraction of a second. Very cool. I dig it.

I noticed that you had posted an update last night while I was out in the garage and usually I would have stopped what I was doing to check it out and comment but last night was a special occasion. I was too focused on my own project to be distracted by just about anything. You'll see later today. I've got an update coming. I'm gonna try to post a video of my own if it turns out the way I want it. Be looking for that. I've had a pretty special last couple of days.

As always Donovan, your updates never disappoint. Keep up the good work my friend. I can't wait to see what's next with the Juggernaut and Olds Cool.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You guys are much too modest in your fabrication skills.

D,
I just realized that you raised the rear floor pan. I guess it was necessary for exhaust and ground clearance. Keep up the awesome work, my friend. You are a unique individual with unique skills...and
you're also a handsome devil...:p

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I wonder if it has anything to do with only getting straight battery voltage? No charging is taking place so you've only got 12.5 volts.

Good thinking Opie, but the battery actually was charging.
It's not visible in the video, but I had a small battery charger hooked up and plugged in inside the trunk during the testing. The battery had a constant 13.5 volts to it the whole time, roughly the same as the alternator would supply if it was running. Unfortunately I think it's just the construction of the compressors themselves, and their CFM output. I wish it was a simple as a voltage drop, it would certainly be a lot cheaper!

D,
I just realized that you raised the rear floor pan. I guess it was necessary for exhaust and ground clearance. Keep up the awesome work, my friend. You are a unique individual with unique skills...and
you're also a handsome devil...:p

Aww, thanks Jack! You're much too kind!

If you're referring to the raised rear floor pans as in the rear passenger's foot wells, yes, they had to be modified and raised up to create some real estate for the mufflers to sit. With the exhaust exiting the body at a 45 degree angle infront of the tires, there was simply nowhere to hang the mufflers that wouldn't drastically decrease the ground clearance.

Here's an early photo during the construction phase that shows the location of the passenger's side muffler before the raised section of floor was fabbed up and welded in:

Exhaust fabrication (20).JPG

• Creative

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I noticed that you had posted an update last night while I was out in the garage and usually I would have stopped what I was doing to check it out and comment but last night was a special occasion. I was too focused on my own project to be distracted by just about anything. You'll see later today. I've got an update coming. I'm gonna try to post a video of my own if it turns out the way I want it. Be looking for that. I've had a pretty special last couple of days.

I'm not sure what you've got going on, but it sounds pretty special indeed!
Very much looking forward to what you've got to share with us...

I'll be watching for your posts for sure.
:)

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Took a couple of new pics today, some of the front end in the daylight assembled, and a couple of Olds Cool in the garage beside it for comparison.

Hard to believe they started out as the exact same year, make and model, just different colours.

Olds Cool has 2" drop spindles already installed in the front, but The 'Naut is still considerably lower in its aired down state!
:D

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2421.JPG

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2430.JPG

Thanks for checking in and all the great comments and feedback everyone. I truly appreciate it.

Donovan

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
D,
Thanks for explaining and showing pics of the process in which you housed your mufflers...quite ingenious..like everything else in your build. I'm not going to start with all the praises again...I think I've inundated you with them over time...:D

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor