BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Personally I think oldscool looks good with them (granted I agree on moving them forward) The Juggernaut however looks so slick and custom I almost couldn't see mirrors sticking off the side. However if you could give them a little of your custom touches they might look good. Slapping a stock mirror on a custom car like that one might look out of place

Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Agree I think pushing them forward would look better. I'm not sure how far you get into the electronic end but when I first got my car I was going to delete the mirrors for the smooth look and run cameras right at the corner where the mirror mounted on mine. Now some of the vehicles are running them where they are below mounted to the mirror for the 360 degree views. I thought it would have been really cool to fiberglass into the dash each of the cameras so you never had to keep from looking forward and have no blindspots.

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
D,
I agree. The mirrors need to be pushed forward closer to the "V" or triangle. However, a member several years back used a set of mirrors from....I think it was some type of GM vehicle...truck perhaps. His mirrors were mounted inside the triangle. These were on an El Camino. I believe he had to weld a mounting plate in that area. I think it looked pretty trick.
Another thought was mirrors from a Foxbody Mustang....an earlier generation. They also mounted inside the triangle. Just a little food for thought.
The Foxbody mirrors (I feel) are smaller looking, less obtrusive than the Monte aero mirrors.

I actually had a set of Monte aero mirrors that were going to go on my wagon. I chose to go with an old school look and sold the mirrors.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Very good points and feedback so far guys, thank you and keep ‘em coming!

It would seem most of you are in agreement that they definitely need to go farther forward to look “right”, and I think that’s right on the mark. If I had the ability to position and hold the mirror in the triangle or vee area long enough for a decent pic, I certainly would. That would give us all a much better idea of how it would actually look.
I will ponder as to how to do that...

Agree I think pushing them forward would look better. I'm not sure how far you get into the electronic end but when I first got my car I was going to delete the mirrors for the smooth look and run cameras right at the corner where the mirror mounted on mine. Now some of the vehicles are running them where they are below mounted to the mirror for the 360 degree views. I thought it would have been really cool to fiberglass into the dash each of the cameras so you never had to keep from looking forward and have no blindspots.

Thanks for the input McLellan.
I’m not opposed whatsoever to incorporating tech into this car, however as we all know, the latest and greatest tech is usually obsolete within about 2 years. I want to build this car once and do it right, and not have to worry about it looking dated in a couple of years. It would really suck to have to tear out a bunch of work just to update electronics. At this time I think I’ll just stick with actual mirrors.
At least that way I know they won’t be obsolete in a year or two!

D,
I agree. The mirrors need to be pushed forward closer to the "V" or triangle. However, a member several years back used a set of mirrors from....I think it was some type of GM vehicle...truck perhaps. His mirrors were mounted inside the triangle. These were on an El Camino. I believe he had to weld a mounting plate in that area. I think it looked pretty trick.
Another thought was mirrors from a Foxbody Mustang....an earlier generation. They also mounted inside the triangle. Just a little food for thought.
The Foxbody mirrors (I feel) are smaller looking, less obtrusive than the Monte aero mirrors.

I actually had a set of Monte aero mirrors that were going to go on my wagon. I chose to go with an old school look and sold the mirrors.

Those are all excellent ideas and suggestions too Jack, thank you.
I’m not convinced that I’d need to go to such extremes as welding in additional material to have a place to mount the mirrors, but that would definitely be a good way to avoid the interference issue with the belt mouldings.

As for the Fox body/aero mirrors thought, I don’t mind the size of the aero ones. They just need to be moved to a better spot.
The thought of incorporating nasty F**d parts (especially Rustang!) on the car tho makes me shudder!
:sick:
So I think I can safely rule that one out. I do appreciate that as an option tho.

Thanks again guys, you’ve certainly given me some food for thought with your feedback so far. Looking forward to hopefully some more input from others.

D.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Very good points and feedback so far guys, thank you and keep ‘em coming!

It would seem most of you are in agreement that they definitely need to go farther forward to look “right”, and I think that’s right on the mark. If I had the ability to position and hold the mirror in the triangle or vee area long enough for a decent pic, I certainly would. That would give us all a much better idea of how it would actually look.
I will ponder as to how to do that...

Thanks for the input McLellan.
I’m not opposed whatsoever to incorporating tech into this car, however as we all know, the latest and greatest tech is usually obsolete within about 2 years. I want to build this car once and do it right, and not have to worry about it looking dated in a couple of years. It would really suck to have to tear out a bunch of work just to update electronics. At this time I think I’ll just stick with actual mirrors.
At least that way I know they won’t be obsolete in a year or two!

Those are all excellent ideas and suggestions too Jack, thank you.
I’m not convinced that I’d need to go to such extremes as welding in additional material to have a place to mount the mirrors, but that would definitely be a good way to avoid the interference issue with the belt mouldings.

As for the Fox body/aero mirrors thought, I don’t mind the size of the aero ones. They just need to be moved to a better spot.
The thought of incorporating nasty F**d parts (especially Rustang!) on the car tho makes me shudder!
:sick:
So I think I can safely rule that one out. I do appreciate that as an option tho.

Thanks again guys, you’ve certainly given me some food for thought with your feedback so far. Looking forward to hopefully some more input from others.

D.

Completely understand, I had to plan that way when I put a backup camera on my GTO when I put the navigation in it that was new to the market as as double din. I actually bought one of those old XM antennas that went on top of the roofs and drilled my camera into it because I knew the camera's would be much smaller down the line. Everyone thought I was crazy to not just drill it into the trunk, didn't realize I would have to do so much work to then hide the wire while being able to remove it down the line.
But I do think a mount about where you are talking about the mirrors going would work pretty easily and pretty much already be perfected by the automakers doing this with their own vehicles just as the displays are with hand held tuners. Looks like I might have talked myself into going back to trying that way again.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I like them D I've toyed with the idea for my 87 but wasn't sure what to get them off of do to the different pedestal angles and lengths. Definitely move them forward and I think they'll look great

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Don't worry Donovan with all the time you will spend to make the mirrors look right on Olds Cool, they will look right. I would think more toward front of the door will be more functional as well. As far as the Juggernaut, find cameras that are durable, very functional and most importantly, look right on the car. There should be small 360 degree cameras out there, maybe engineer side louvers to hide the camera's in the body lines?

As far as clearance goes, didn't you're move the wide moldings because of the cowl hood?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor