BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ever thought of using (if they fit) the power guts from a F car set?

That’s a decent idea, it’d be nice to have all the modern conveniences in this one if at all possible.
On the aero/euro set I have now, driver’s side mirror is remote operated but it’s via the standard cable deal and not power. The passenger’s side is not remote at all. These aero/euro mirrors are becoming harder to find, and seeing that I already have this set, do you know if they’re able to be retrofitted with the guts from a power set should I ever come across one?

As far as clearance goes, didn't you're move the wide moldings because of the cowl hood?

Nope, I’m still using the wider door mouldings. Only the hood and fender mouldings have been eliminated. On these older ‘78-80 models, the front of the wide door belt moulding come to a nice point which makes it look like the trim actually starts at the doors. The reason for not eliminating the door mouldings altogether or using the thin ones, is it helps to frame the door and quarter glass in chrome all the way around which I think looks nice and more cohesive. This is also the main reason why I don’t think I’ll end up shaving the drip rails either.

This is on Olds Cool, but it’s the best pic I have of the front “point” of the door moulding. On The ‘Naut, the little fender mouldings have been shaved.

D8CB9393-B6A8-447E-8BE3-0586F17D2A0F.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That’s a decent idea, it’d be nice to have all the modern conveniences in this one if at all possible.
On the aero/euro set I have now, driver’s side mirror is remote operated but it’s via the standard cable deal and not power. The passenger’s side is not remote at all. These aero/euro mirrors are becoming harder to find, and seeing that I already have this set, do you know if they’re able to be retrofitted with the guts from a power set should I ever come across one?
Hate to say I'm not sure if they can/can't be retrofitted. I want to do the same with the mirrors on my '81. Not sure what else outside of an '81/'82 Vette to use power mirrors with the sport mirrors or even if I blow the money on a set for the guts to put in mine. I'm spoiled from the truck & wifes car having power mirrors & would like to stay spoiled in the Monte.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hate to say I'm not sure if they can/can't be retrofitted. I want to do the same with the mirrors on my '81. Not sure what else outside of an '81/'82 Vette to use power mirrors with the sport mirrors or even if I blow the money on a set for the guts to put in mine. I'm spoiled from the truck & wifes car having power mirrors & would like to stay spoiled in the Monte.

I hear that.
I’ve got power remote mirrors in both my daily driver Lincoln LS and even my F150 service truck. It’s pretty much the norm now, we’ve definitely become spoiled. Now that you’ve made me aware that it was an option on the F bodies, at least I can keep my eyes peeled for a set. As long as the guts of them aren’t stripped or totally roached, I should be able to resurrect them for use. I’ll keep everyone apprised if I find some.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I am believing the '88-'90 B bodies might even have power mirrors.

Good to know, thanks. There’s a few more of those in yards around here than F bodies, but not many. Too bad all the mirrors that came on those cars are so ugly...
:puke:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Those should have the same type of mirror that you have too.

sh*t, so they are!
Sorry, my bad. I was thinking of the slightly older models that still had the chrome ones.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
We all have those moments, some more than others (or when we hear the wife talking :D)

Hahaha!
Yep, no doubt! It doesn’t help that I’m trying to multitask, responding to texts and work on the car at the same time!
That’s my excuse anyways, and I’m sticking to it....
:whistle:

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Ever thought of using (if they fit) the power guts from a F car set?

I've had this info squirreled away for awhile.....I think I got if off the El Camino Central site some time ago...

**The power mirrors from a 1982-1991 Camaro have the same size internal parts as the 86-87 El Camino & Monte Carlo sport mirrors. Only the angle where it goes against the door is cut differently. I have yet to write an article on how to do this, but have done it on mine. A brief description follows: get used Camaro mirrors, snap out pivot and mirror from inner housing with a thin screwdriver being careful not to break the pivot, unscrew power mirror motor from mount, unscrew 3 mounting screws, mount will fit in the same 3 holes in the El Camino housing. Run electrical wires through housing, attach mount with 3 screws, attach motor, snap in mirror piviot, and mirror is ready to bolt in. You will have to fabricate a wiring harness and use a switch from the Camaro as well. I have a wiring diagram somewhere. I mounted the switch in the right hand lower corner of the instrument panel. (where the passenger side mirror handle is on the Monte Carlo)
Maybe I will do a tech article one of these days and post it. I think that firebird power mirrors of this vintage are the same, but am not positive.**

• Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor