BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Donovan, when I did my sport mirrors, I mounted them all the way up to match the A-pillar. I also used power guts and new glass in them.

I drove without them, and in PA you can, but I don't like the blind spots. At least not in a wagon.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've had this info squirreled away for awhile.....I think I got if off the El Camino Central site some time ago...

**The power mirrors from a 1982-1991 Camaro have the same size internal parts as the 86-87 El Camino & Monte Carlo sport mirrors. Only the angle where it goes against the door is cut differently. I have yet to write an article on how to do this, but have done it on mine. A brief description follows: get used Camaro mirrors, snap out pivot and mirror from inner housing with a thin screwdriver being careful not to break the pivot, unscrew power mirror motor from mount, unscrew 3 mounting screws, mount will fit in the same 3 holes in the El Camino housing. Run electrical wires through housing, attach mount with 3 screws, attach motor, snap in mirror piviot, and mirror is ready to bolt in. You will have to fabricate a wiring harness and use a switch from the Camaro as well. I have a wiring diagram somewhere. I mounted the switch in the right hand lower corner of the instrument panel. (where the passenger side mirror handle is on the Monte Carlo)
Maybe I will do a tech article one of these days and post it. I think that firebird power mirrors of this vintage are the same, but am not positive.**

That’s a great post Kevin, and very informative! Thanks for sharing that with us.
Now I’ll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for Camaro and ‘88-90 B body power mirrors.

Donovan, when I did my sport mirrors, I mounted them all the way up to match the A-pillar. I also used power guts and new glass in them.

I drove without them, and in PA you can, but I don't like the blind spots. At least not in a wagon.

Thanks for chiming in Jim.
Scott and I were discussing your wagon as I seemed to remember you incorporating them as well. Which door belt mouldings are you using, and did you have any interference issues? If so, how did you overcome them?
I agree as everyone else seems to, they definitely need to be moved forward to match the A pillar.
As for the power internals in yours, are they junkyard pieces or did you find them somewhere new?
I can understand your aversion to running without mirrors, that’s kinda where I’m at with considering putting some back on too. Especially with the way people around here drive.
:doh:

Reactions: 3 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I am using the thin window mouldings, as that what it came with and all that was available repop. No interference issues to speak off. I do have to say that I got three sets of sport mirrors, one off of an El Camino, one off of a Camaro, and one off of a Monte Carlo. I honestly can't remember what pair of mirrors I used. I took the guts out of the Camaro mirrors, then reused them in the final set. The guts came from a junkyard doner. I did test them before I left though with a jump pack.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I am using the thin window mouldings, as that what it came with and all that was available repop. No interference issues to speak off. I do have to say that I got three sets of sport mirrors, one off of an El Camino, one off of a Camaro, and one off of a Monte Carlo. I honestly can't remember what pair of mirrors I used. I took the guts out of the Camaro mirrors, then reused them in the final set. The guts came from a junkyard doner. I did test them before I left though with a jump pack.

Perfect, thank you.
I didn’t think the power internals would be available new, but I figured I’d ask anyways.
It’s definitely the width of these wide mouldings that’s presenting the interference issue, but I’m committed to using them. I think with a little ingenuity I can make the two play together. I can see how the thin mouldings gave you the clearance you needed.
Honestly, I think the chances of me coming across a set of power mirrors in that style around here are pretty slim, but who knows. I never thought I’d find a 8.5” 3:73 rear end in the junkyards either!
Perhaps you, Kevin, José or anyone else could keep an eye out for me?

Thanks again.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I'm sure you could modify the mirror pedestal to get the clearance that you need with the molding. As the weather gets better, I'll be making more trips to a Pick-n-Pulls so I'll keep an eye out for some power mirror internals. I also used the power mirror switch from a Caprice, since it fits in the factory gbody power mirror scussion.

• Winner

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm sure you could modify the mirror pedestal to get the clearance that you need with the molding. As the weather gets better, I'll be making more trips to a Pick-n-Pulls so I'll keep an eye out for some power mirror internals. I also used the power mirror switch from a Caprice, since it fits in the factory gbody power mirror scussion.

Thanks Jim, I would really appreciate it if you could. Great tip on the power switch fitting in the factory escutcheon too, thanks!

Best forum ever, hands down...

Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I remembered reading a story (in Hemming's iirc) about an 85 MCSS titled "Dad's Stupid Car" where the owner installed the sport mirrors with F-body power and a Caprice switch. I reread it yesterday, great story. I think the guy is a member here, but don't recall his username.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2010/08/Dad-s-Stupid-Car---1986-Monte-Carlo-SS/3633651.html?amp=1

That was a good article, thank you. Essentially (and may even be) the same modification to the same Monte SS that Jim provided the GBF link to above.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor