Elderton, Pa
I thought this was about a Marvel Comics character that you could build. 😉
1607787590877.png

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
Have read pretty much all of this(I did skip a couple of pages though) and will say you do an amazing job, much better than I could ever dream of. I have an '86 El Camino as my first car that I got when I was 14, and will be 34 in January. It hasn't been on the road since 2008 I think though, but I have a 455 olds in it, although it spun a bearing, and it clears the stock hood with ease, and plenty of room around the ac box even though the ac is not hooked up. I did use the factory 1973 mounts from I think it was a 98, so maybe they are a little shorter than what most people use. Along with your mirrors, I know it may not exactly match everything and look as clean as you want, I would put them on for driving on the open road. I guess I have grown up on a farm driving trucks, and am used to using mirrors to back up, as I typically back into parking spaces with my extended cab long bed since its easier many times to see backing into a spot than backing out. My El Camino and the Monte's that have the sport mirrors like what you got are mounted much more forward than your stocks, so they somewhat blend into the A pillar. Hopefully you can get back to this project, and I've been buying stuff for mine and trying to get customer projects done so I have space to pull mine in for a heart transplant(a 400 sbc if the lb7 6.6 duramax won't fit) and redo the interior so I can drive it again. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Have read pretty much all of this(I did skip a couple of pages though) and will say you do an amazing job, much better than I could ever dream of. I have an '86 El Camino as my first car that I got when I was 14, and will be 34 in January. It hasn't been on the road since 2008 I think though, but I have a 455 olds in it, although it spun a bearing, and it clears the stock hood with ease, and plenty of room around the ac box even though the ac is not hooked up. I did use the factory 1973 mounts from I think it was a 98, so maybe they are a little shorter than what most people use. Along with your mirrors, I know it may not exactly match everything and look as clean as you want, I would put them on for driving on the open road. I guess I have grown up on a farm driving trucks, and am used to using mirrors to back up, as I typically back into parking spaces with my extended cab long bed since its easier many times to see backing into a spot than backing out. My El Camino and the Monte's that have the sport mirrors like what you got are mounted much more forward than your stocks, so they somewhat blend into the A pillar. Hopefully you can get back to this project, and I've been buying stuff for mine and trying to get customer projects done so I have space to pull mine in for a heart transplant(a 400 sbc if the lb7 6.6 duramax won't fit) and redo the interior so I can drive it again. Keep up the good work.

Thanks very much, and welcome to the forum!

Some time has definitely passed since any real work was done on the car, and it’s given me time to reconsider a few things on the car. Outside mirrors being one of them. I have a set of the 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird/Fiero/ Caprice mirrors now that I’ve since decided to use on the car. So that’ll address the mirror debate.

Spun rod bearings on Olds 455’s is a common problem. Oil pressure, type of oil, RPM’s, and internal clearances have to be closely watched on these engines. Ask me how I know.

Good luck with your project and thanks for commenting!

Reactions: 8 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
surprised trailer park boys GIF

6 month bump?

Lol
More like 6 month dump. I’m currently tearing my hair out mired in AstroRoof issue BS. I know what the problem is, I just don’t know why or how to fix it just yet. I think the entire assembly is going to have to come out and go through it with a fine tooth comb on the stand.

The poor ole Juggernaut is still just sitting patiently waiting for Fall and my dumb *ss to get this figured out.

• Sad
  • Indifferent
Reactions: 9 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor