MALIBU The last 8.5 rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
So I m out in this junk yard looking for a F-body to grab the LSD out for my g-body but out of the corner of my eye I see a Malibu total rusted out just a pile rust but wait it has a rear end in it so I peek under it it looks to be a 8.5 ( holly sh*t ) so I m getting a closer look this weekend when I pull it. Question is did the Malibu have it or did someone put it in the car any info about malibi's coming with 8.5 would be helpful
Thanks Tim

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Malibu NEVER had an 8.5 from the factory. Someone could have changed it though.

Reactions: 4 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
If it is indeed an 8.5, hopefully it will still be there when you go back. Stuff like that doesn't last long. Usually if you don't grab it when you see it, its gone when you go back.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If it is indeed an 8.5, hopefully it will still be there when you go back. Stuff like that doesn't last long. Usually if you don't grab it when you see it, its gone when you go back.
If I found a gbody 8.5 in a junkyard its a two step program: step one is ask for price. Step two is call in sick and stick around to pull it

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 13 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Call in sick with an eye problem. “I can see that I need to be at the front door of the yard in the morning before it opens.”

Look for the square corners under the pan, not fangs.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Whether you need it or not, a blown diff in a G 8.5 is always worth $600.

At least to me ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
If I found a gbody 8.5 in a junkyard its a two step program: step one is ask for price. Step two is call in sick and stick around to pull it
I hear you all about pulling right there and then but here we have some yard that you only find about by word to mouth kind of places that malibu has been in there for years the drive is 1/2 mile back off the road to the office and the drive has hole so big I could park my work ( 99 sunfire ) in them. I m going tomorrow morning I'll post some pix.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Study the pic below of Donovan's 8.5. Ensure it looks like this (squared corners at bottom 5 and 7 o'clock positions. If it does, drop and pull that puppy.

Donovan 8 point 5 rear end.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
It might look like a hulk and a pile of rust but, apart from the diff, how is the frame?? As a WIAUT (While I am under there) exercise, check the frame to see if it is still all in one piece and no damage or rust in places like where the body mount bolts come and go. Good stock G body frames can be valuable, particularly to builders north of the Mason-Dixon and located squarely in the middle of rust belt country. Owner might cut you a huss if you make an offer on the rolling chassis; get it back to your garage or shop and strip it at your leisure. Or, maybe a trade, parts for a load of granular B or gravel to fill in that hole. (Hey, you never know what someone will take by way of an offer) Also, the motor might be dead and gone but take a peek for all the brackets and associated bits. Been folks from time to time on this forum looking for the odd item; puts a few bucks in your pocket for either parts you need or a brew or two for after the fight (to remove the valuable parts).

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor