The Monte Pit 78 MC

MTP-Madmat

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
81
33
64D890C4-CC01-4B26-B051-678D0CDDC480.jpeg
The end goal of this project is to have a corner carving beast for road racing and auto cross. The one thing that will not be done to the car is the very popular LS swap. I’m a big fan of the old school motors. Plus the car had a 400 SBC when we bought it.

When my dad bought this car for me it wasn’t running and was supposed to be my high school car/project car. That didn’t happen since it needed too much work and I was broke. Then the plan was to go drag racing. The car sat about 12 years before I could throw some cash into it. That’s when we discovered auto cross and decided to go that direction. So about 2 years ago we started working on it. Once it was running and had new bushings on the suspension and chassis, dropping it 2” and new brakes. Got a donor rear axle from a 2001 Cameron to use the 3.73 Auburn Posi and disc brakes. Threw on some new tires on a set of N90’s and went racing. It wasn’t fast but it was fun. Then we made a big purchase, a set of weld 17 x 11” wheels and 315-35/17 nitros all the way around. We have done a lot of small things to the engine bay like the new radiator. That brings the project to what it is today. This summer We are removing the 700R4 and putting in a T56 magnum. I’ll keep posting our progress throughout the summer.
 

Attachments

MTP-Madmat

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
81
33
So far for the T 56 swap we have installed the SSM pedal assembly. That didn’t take as long as I thought. We also cut out a plate to use an F body clutch master with the old style mechanical bell housing. I could’ve bought the plate but we are M-T Pockets Motorsports for a reason. Now we have come across a new issue. The bell housing is for a 153 tooth flywheel and 400’s never came with a small flywheel. Now we have 2 options, buy an aftermarket external balance flywheel for a few hundred so I can use the clutch I ordered, or find a big bell housing and 163 tooth external balance flywheel used plus return the clutch and get an 11”. I’ll only go with choice 2 if it’s cheaper than choice 1.
 

Attachments

J

Jim Larkin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2018
22
8
I just installed a 5 speed tremec tko600 into my 78' Monte. I had a 200r4 in there before so it was the 153 tooth flexplate as well. My new bell housing and flex plate is indeed 163. I have headers as well so you need a starter if you go the larger flywheel / bell housing route. I used a hydraulic throw out bearing so it simplified the linkages and some of the things you are coming across. There are new reproduction aluminum bell housings available. if you have the master, consider using a hydraulic throw out bearing. I do not know of any 153 tooth flywheels for your application. Not sure if a 153 tooth externally balanced flywheel is offered. Good luck.let me know is you have any questions on the install.
 
  • Like
Reactions: fleming442
MTP-Madmat

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
81
33
The 153 external balance flywheels are available from summit for around $250 or you can get a neutral balance and add the weights. The pedal kit I have is for an F-body and I picked up a multi pattern mini starter at the swap meet. Currently have a 168 flex plate for the autotragic
 
Texas82GP

Texas82GP

Geezer
Supporting Member
Apr 3, 2015
5,091
113
Spring, Texas
Cool car! Tuned in.
 
MTP-Madmat

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
81
33
E787C80E-7FE3-488D-A310-8ACA03C3F8AB.jpeg
DEC22B2E-6B12-461E-A94A-8C455AFA3669.jpeg
DFFED31B-9350-4253-9AF4-0FBDB1DCC971.jpeg
The flywheel finally came in. Not too many budget friendly flywheels available for an external balance 400 sbc. This was $100 on summit and you had to look it up by part number. Also got the bellhousing swapped out for the 168 tooth. Also took out the heater box. Wanted to lighten up the car and free up some room. Next is to cut a piece of steel to cover it
 
  • Like
Reactions: Texas82GP
MTP-Madmat

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
81
33
Took the motor and trans out today. Mocked up the slave cylinder and starter. Had to modify one tube to clear the slave using a sawzall, grinder and welder. I’ll get a better picture of the finished product. Also had to use the hammer on them to clear the starter. I guess I’m the lucky one that has to make room for a mini starter. Good thing they are flotech headers. Would hate to cut up a set of hookers. Going to get the engine back in and start mocking the transmission into the car.
 

Attachments

MTP-Madmat

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
81
33
Made a panel to cover the heater box opening. It helps when a friend has a bead roller. Also got the clutch working ( I think, still need to test drive) we used a Toyota slave cylinder with the F-body master and some conversation fittings. We had to make a new bracket for the slave cylinder and I’ll eventually make a version 2 to make it better. The GM slave didn’t move enough. Now to finish the electrical and engine plumbing. Then time to disturb the peace before making the exhaust fit.
 

Attachments


Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor