BUILD THREAD The Mullet Maurader, The Epic of the LS swapped Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
You might as well figure on the whole deal if you're looking for 500hp. I am appalled at how chintzy the frame is with the body off. Then again, I'm appalled that a car with SS badges game with 180hp. View attachment 78165

It’s gonna need help. I agree, the chassis belongs in the 80’s.

2 schools of thought. Blow it apart for a couple years or maybe a decade and do it "right". Or make it a "rolling " restoration whereas you pick a project and complete it before moving on to the next thing. Second school of thought takes longer but gets you more seat time in-between mini-restorations. The cruising season in Canada is already short enough that I wouldn't want to pull my car off the road for more than a few weeks from March to October. Helps if you can procrastinate about things as well. I have bought and paid for parts which are now a few years old that have yet to go on the car ( which is the attitude that's needed for a rolling restoration ) :)

I procrastinate WELL! Lol

I am not building a show car. So absolutely perfect paint and details don’t matter. But i have to make sure the frame is protected, the underside is not going to rust, and that I have a solid foundation. Maybe I’ll roll on some rust converter and put new bushings on for now. Should stop my eye from twitching.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My suggestion is limit the project to what you can do over a winter. That way you can enjoy it over the summer. My car has been laid uo for 3 years and that's not fun, at least not for me.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
My suggestion is limit the project to what you can do over a winter. That way you can enjoy it over the summer. My car has been laid uo for 3 years and that's not fun, at least not for me.

Gonna make a plan of action up. Attack a few things at a time. Need to get my 5.3 in for now. That will be my spring project, with maybe the under body protection.

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
Time for a little update. Haven’t had any time to actually DO anything but things are starting to show up.

How does a guy keep the snowball effect from taking over. All I want to do is pull the body off to paint the frame and underbody but I can’t help the urge to “just do a couple things” while it’s off!!!

I did the same thing last year. Took my car apart for just a frame replacement and went crazy. New rear, bushings, brakes, motor , transmission etc. Just kept going. Glad I did it but wow. I had tough time with the snowball affect.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Glad to know I'm not alone . . . My snowball project just exceeded the world's largest ball of twine! :doh:

Welcome to the OP!

05twine2.JPG

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Well. It’s snowing....

Got home from night shift early so I thought, time to do the things!!!

I put on some Era correct music, changed the plugs on the 305, ran some new plug wires since one was rotted out at the plug side (cursing intensely at the #7 plug and wire. I don’t have ogre hands but damn that’s awkward!). Then I thought since I pulled the vinyl top trim off for another member looking for clips that I would start ripping off vinyl. I got 6” into the first cut and found the hidden lurking rust. :( BOOO!!!

Probably a good thing I’m a decent welder.

Drivers side was the worst (it’s the pic). I guess I’m gonna need to get some sheet metal. So I guess the next step is stripping out the B pillars and seeing how big this snowball is gonna get, I was thinking of painting the B pillar trim anyway.... maybe tint the windows.......

On a related topic, anyone have tips on hail dimple removal?

Attachments

• CC7677E0-13D6-4992-B26B-F81E6F4A2F31.jpeg
    CC7677E0-13D6-4992-B26B-F81E6F4A2F31.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 367
  • C39D3F9E-E0F3-4188-B084-A9838DDBC75A.jpeg
    C39D3F9E-E0F3-4188-B084-A9838DDBC75A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 353
Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
I did the same thing last year. Took my car apart for just a frame replacement and went crazy. New rear, bushings, brakes, motor , transmission etc. Just kept going. Glad I did it but wow. I had tough time with the snowball affect.

Lol I should just find a frame for next winter and go to town.... probably find a unicorn here before I find another good frame though. Damn Canadian winter.

Glad to know I'm not alone . . . My snowball project just exceeded the world's largest ball of twine! :doh:

Welcome to the OP!

05twine2.JPG

Haha. At least We have kindred spirits here to suffer with. Not a lot of other people I know are really interested in this project.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well. It’s snowing....

Got home from night shift early so I thought, time to do the things!!!

I put on some Era correct music, changed the plugs on the 305, ran some new plug wires since one was rotted out at the plug side (cursing intensely at the #7 plug and wire. I don’t have ogre hands but damn that’s awkward!). Then I thought since I pulled the vinyl top trim off for another member looking for clips that I would start ripping off vinyl. I got 6” into the first cut and found the hidden lurking rust. :( BOOO!!!

Probably a good thing I’m a decent welder.

Drivers side was the worst (it’s the pic). I guess I’m gonna need to get some sheet metal. So I guess the next step is stripping out the B pillars and seeing how big this snowball is gonna get, I was thinking of painting the B pillar trim anyway.... maybe tint the windows.......

On a related topic, anyone have tips on hail dimple removal?
Oooey, time for a tetanus shot! Hopefully the rust isn't on the topside as well. I ended up needing a roof skin on my Cutlass due to excessive cancer. Fingers crossed for ya man!!!

• Agree

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Lol I should just find a frame for next winter and go to town.... probably find a unicorn here before I find another good frame though. Damn Canadian winter.

Sorry to see you with the rust problem Duke..there's a couple members and likely more with the same situation. I'm sure you'll get it done up and looking good again before too long.

If you want to give the second frame idea some more thought I've still got access to alot of Gbody stuff out this way. One wrecker around here literally has a pile of Gbody frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor