BUILD THREAD The Mullet Maurader, The Epic of the LS swapped Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Vinyl tops mean, hey rust come hide under here and spread everywhere. People in the Nothern areas should have had the top deleted as an automatic. Remember S-10's used the same bolt pattern and the Extreme came with nice 16" wheels. Trucks are all over the place on the prairies. Most people up here buy trucks to hot rod, not cars, which is just stupid. I find 4x4 trucks a necessary evil to deal with icy and heavy snow covered roads.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Sorry to see you with the rust problem Duke..there's a couple members and likely more with the same situation. I'm sure you'll get it done up and looking good again before too long.

If you want to give the second frame idea some more thought I've still got access to alot of Gbody stuff out this way. One wrecker around here literally has a pile of Gbody frames.

I got mad last night and started pricing a Schwartz Performance frame compared to what I wanna do. Hahaha

If you want to inquire about a frame price, just in casual conversation next time you happen to be out there let me know. That would be worth a drive to Saskatchewan.

• Optimistic

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
I got mad last night and started pricing a Schwartz Performance frame compared to what I wanna do. Hahaha

If you want to inquire about a frame price, just in casual conversation next time you happen to be out there let me know. That would be worth a drive to Saskatchewan.
Did you see the Schwartz video with the stock Monte frame? I have a t-top car and can't believe GM didn't add some kind of extra bracing to the frame.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Did you see the Schwartz video with the stock Monte frame? I have a t-top car and can't believe GM didn't add some kind of extra bracing to the frame.

Dan Howe’s build is why I bought a G body instead of an older classic. That car is amazing.

Reactions: 1 users

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
Lol I should just find a frame for next winter and go to town.... probably find a unicorn here before I find another good frame though. Damn Canadian winter

There is a guy in Pennsylvania that has four to five frames pretty much on a regular basis.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017

Unfortunately that would be a real long haul to pick up. Us Canadians don’t have the selection you enjoy down south unfortunately. It sucks. What I would give to have a SummitRacing store even an hour away from me.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
So the rust wasn’t that bad. A little bit of upgrading what GM didn’t do right and she will live. Thank god for early nights on night shift. Momma and the kiddos can sleep while I work.

Can anyone recommend a good pic hosting site? Preferably free? Hard to post a good write up if pictures aren’t in a good order.

Attachments

• F040B6D0-6780-44DA-B364-85E634CD46E7.jpeg
    F040B6D0-6780-44DA-B364-85E634CD46E7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 524
Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015

We’ve all been there. I am lucky that my frame is in great shape so my initial Schwartz consideration didn’t last long. Now that I have to do a partial frame off (really a body off - why do they call it frame off?) to swap all my bushings I even briefly considered it again but am confident I can get mine solid enough with added boxing and bracing for it to perform adequately. Just be nice to have the solid frame withOUT the extra weight. Got the calculation somewhere but think I am losing 220 up front, adding 150 in back and will likely add that 70 lb delta back in bracing and boxing mine so net zero weight improvement. Had I not had my 8.5 blasted, coated, nearly rebuilt with all new hardened internals, drum to disk, plus all of UMI’s nice cute toys scattered on my garage floor to hook it all back up, I might STILL be considering biting the Schwartz bullet?? But fortunate for my bank account, they don’t have an 8.5 10 bolt friendly version.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
We’ve all been there. I am lucky that my frame is in great shape so my initial Schwartz consideration didn’t last long. Now that I have to do a partial frame off (really a body off - why do they call it frame off?) to swap all my bushings I even briefly considered it again but am confident I can get mine solid enough with added boxing and bracing for it to perform adequately. Just be nice to have the solid frame withOUT the extra weight. Got the calculation somewhere but think I am losing 220 up front, adding 150 in back and will likely add that 70 lb delta back in bracing and boxing mine so net zero weight improvement. Had I not had my 8.5 blasted, coated, nearly rebuilt with all new hardened internals, drum to disk, plus all of UMI’s nice cute toys scattered on my garage floor to hook it all back up, I might STILL be considering biting the Schwartz bullet?? But fortunate for my bank account, they don’t have an 8.5 10 bolt friendly version.

The struggle is real. Haha. I happen to have a donor 3rd member and gears for a ford 9”. So the G-machine frame is not much of a stretch. “Much”. I was gonna sell my truck anyway.......

Little update for the thread today. The FedEx man dropped off some holiday cheer. .

Attachments

• D9877CDE-56CC-434D-88B9-8E8DCB9DFD84.jpeg
    D9877CDE-56CC-434D-88B9-8E8DCB9DFD84.jpeg
    684.3 KB · Views: 489
  • Winner

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Dan Howe’s build is why I bought a G body instead of an older classic. That car is amazing.
He was a member on here for a short time when they built the Monte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor