BUILD THREAD The Mullet Maurader, The Epic of the LS swapped Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You’ll be blowing by everyone too fast to see if it’s actually pretty or not...

That IS low Duke, too low in my opinion. I’d be plenty nervous too. I don’t like to have anything hanging lower than the lowest scrub point, in your case either the front engine cradle crossmember or the trans crossmember. I would seriously be looking at finding a way to get it up higher, possibly angling it back and up more. That might just buy you enough clearance. Otherwise I think you’re asking for trouble.

The driver’s side header collector on my 455 hangs lower than the passenger’s side, but doesn’t hang anywhere near as low as that, and I’ve pancaked it several times on railroad tracks.

I’d hate to see you tear that pipe off unexpectedly.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I was wondering if you could route the pipe closer to the front of the transmission pan and get it higher. Are you planning to run the lower torque converter cover, or lower bellhousing (not sure what to call it)?

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
You’ll be blowing by everyone too fast to see if it’s actually pretty or not...

That IS low Duke, too low in my opinion. I’d be plenty nervous too. I don’t like to have anything hanging lower than the lowest scrub point, in your case either the front engine cradle crossmember or the trans crossmember. I would seriously be looking at finding a way to get it up higher, possibly angling it back and up more. That might just buy you enough clearance. Otherwise I think you’re asking for trouble.

The driver’s side header collector on my 455 hangs lower than the passenger’s side, but doesn’t hang anywhere near as low as that, and I’ve pancaked it several times on railroad tracks.

I’d hate to see you tear that pipe off unexpectedly.

It's a concern for sure. Good thing is it's easy to change in the future, especially when I build the stainless version. I'm not going to stress it too much yet, it's not a problem until it's a problem. 😉

I was wondering if you could route the pipe closer to the front of the transmission pan and get it higher. Are you planning to run the lower torque converter cover, or lower bellhousing (not sure what to call it)?

I do need to get an inspection cover, and I think that's what I'll do. Angle it back more and tuck it in that space. The only reason I didn't was when I mocked up on my engine stand, that's where stand was. 🤔

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It's a concern for sure. Good thing is it's easy to change in the future, especially when I build the stainless version. I'm not going to stress it too much yet, it's not a problem until it's a problem. 😉

I do need to get an inspection cover, and I think that's what I'll do. Angle it back more and tuck it in that space. The only reason I didn't was when I mocked up on my engine stand, that's where stand was. 🤔
Gotcha. I was thinking that way since that's how the exhaust is routed on the 307 in the Cutlass and Regal.

Attachments

• 20190504_103112-2016x1134.jpg
    20190504_103112-2016x1134.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Gotcha. I was thinking that way since that's how the exhaust is routed on the 307 in the Cutlass and Regal.
Eventually I'll have to do it. This is just 16ga mild steel pipe for the Gen 1 version and I know exactly what I'll need this next time to make it work so I think itll be easier. And as usual I am in a time crunch as I move 3rd week of October.

Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Productive day in the shop for this guy. It is damn close to turbofied. Had a total thrash day to get it in.

Got the hot side complete, wastegate in and tested to 5psi on spring. All the welding ain't pretty but I'll finish the wrap and paint the downpipe to cover it. Still have to merge the waste line to the downpipe but that can happen later, not happy with the cheapo parts store 1 3/4" hoopty pipe I had to cobble together.

Behold the sloppiness.
20190922_193719.jpg
20190922_193731.jpg
20190922_193753.jpg

I started on the oil system finalizing and promptly kinked the oil feed line. I guess I'll make my own, it was super cheap china grade garbage anyway.

20190922_185859.jpg

So then I attempted to get the drain in the front cover. Drilled out a boss and threaded a -8 Male fitting in with ample JB weld. Even made it all pretty with the painting.
20190922_173417.jpg

Pulled the water pump and pulley to discover my fittings are too long.... So ICT Billet dual drain front cover on the way.

20190922_185846.jpg

That attempt was a hail Mary anyway, trying to save a buck. I'd rather not fabricobble something this important.
20190922_182521.jpg

It looked out of place painted anyway. Lol

Got more wire routing to do, moving my battery power lead under the front of the engine to avoid heat from the turbo and tidy up a few other small details, then reconnect the exhaust to the turbo for the full trailer park sleeper effect. Then cold side, which looks not too bad from the mock up I've done. Just need a tight 90 from the turbo to make it happen. parts on the way.

Attachments

• 20190922_173829.jpg
    20190922_173829.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 143
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Had some time after work today so finished the downpipe and mocked up the exhaust, just planning the final route, thinking it will dump before the passenger rear tire. Its gonna kinda depend on muffler dimensions. Had an oil feed hose built at a hose shop today so threw it in and P clamped down. Final bolted in the manifolds and mounted the truck factory heat shield on the drivers side, looks real pretty. Has a couple of coats of 1500 degree primer and paint, and I painted up the down pipe so itll get wrapped and put in place tomorrow. Along with the starter hot cable and probably the intake. Header panel will come off tomorrow also for intercooler and cold side mock up. Should be fun.

20190923_191632.jpg
20190923_191646.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Got the cold side plumbing plan made up. Intercooler bracket for the top is made up, bottom is mocked and ready to weld.

20190924_205400.jpg

Heat wrapped and installed the downpipe, torqued down for final install. Mocked the intermediate pipe and looking for muffler options. Think straight pipe for now, not sure if I want to eventually go over the axle or in front of the rear wheel yet. Kinda depends on muffler choice. So if you know of a great hot rod sounding muffler that's not crazy loud let me know.

Final parts are due for delivery friday and I'm supposed to have the weekend off. Its gonna be turbski time just in time for first winter. Lol right on....

Reactions: 6 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Finished the intercooler mounts last night and painted them up. But wasn't really worth a thread update so here it all is.

Intercooler is mounted, nice and solid on some 3/16" flat bar with tabs welded on. I cut a slot for the turbo cold side to go to the intercooler behind the lights on the passenger side. Just need the elbow to come in tomorrow and that side will be done. Might have to trim the inner to put it back in but I think it'll fit.
20190926_204613.jpg
20190926_213043.jpg

Mocked up the intercooler outlet side piping, decided that I really don't like my junkyard mustang fan so that's good to need upgrading. It's way too bulky and is a real pain to get air piping around, the UMI brace isn't helping either.

20190926_213254.jpg
20190926_213106.jpg
20190926_213123.jpg

Still needs trimming and final fitting but its 90% there. Everything clears with the header panel back on. Mock up complete. Tomorrow it gets finalized.

20190926_213052.jpg

Got the tune tweaked and ready for upload today at work. Just need to flash, check sensors and fire it up. Still some small other stuff to do but it's mostly reassembly now.

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor