BUILD THREAD The Mullet Maurader, The Epic of the LS swapped Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
First off awesome job. Car is coming along nicely. The thread has been a big help for me already but I got 1 question. Did you butt weld the wheelhouse patch or did you lap it? Im fixing mine as we speak im just trying figure out the best way forward. Thanks and. I think were goin thru update withdrawls 😁

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
First off awesome job. Car is coming along nicely. The thread has been a big help for me already but I got 1 question. Did you butt weld the wheelhouse patch or did you lap it? Im fixing mine as we speak im just trying figure out the best way forward. Thanks and. I think were goin thru update withdrawls 😁

Well thank you. Work hasnt allowed me to do anything for the past two weeks but I'll get some work done this weekend.

I butt welded the patches in, mostly because it's easier to cover with an undercoating afterwards.

Reactions: 7 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
It's been a busy weekend for my days off. Had a big life/career decision thrown at me, but I'll explain that later when it develops more. Got into the garage today as I havent had a lot of motivation to spare I decided to do something different.

I personally dislike trim, 80's grandma car bling and phony GM dressing. I also dislike drip rails.

Off they come.
20200211_132916.jpg

I watched some good YouTube videos on the process, consulted the master for advice and cut/tacked about 1.5" at a time. It was easy and went well for the first side.

20200211_134942.jpg

The clean ground off line is an edge in the roof skin, I am thinking I may build up the edge a bit and smooth out that line so it flows with the line above the quarter windows, we shall see once I get it welded and smoothed out.
20200211_142255.jpg

It looks way better without the drip rail.
20200211_142341.jpg

20200211_142348.jpg

I'll get back out tonight and finish the other side, probably start pulling out the lead in the A pillar and make a plan to smooth the trim line in the A pillar. Give her a more modern look.

Reactions: 9 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Wow, that's cool, I think that D fellow must be very pleased with his young, aspiring apprentice :)
Cutting stuff off and tacking are the easy part. Lol.

I feel like he has given me the tools to make it pretty afterwards. That's the important piece.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
That's pretty awesome. I would have never even thought to do something like that. Let alone the balls to do it. The creativity around here is amazing. Cant wait to see what you come up with on the A pillar trim delete.

• Agree

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
That's pretty awesome. I would have never even thought to do something like that. Let alone the balls to do it. The creativity around here is amazing. Cant wait to see what you come up with on the A pillar trim delete.

Thanks man, I'll either be the hero or the villain on this one.

Ballsy move. I like it!

Thanks Mike, had to step up my game to keep up with all you guys setting the standards around here.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Question.... what do you do with the area where the trim runs down in front of door glass and windshield?
Seems like a funky area

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor