The Official Component Weight Thread!!!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
This thread is for posting the weight of various stock or aftermarket parts and components of your G body for the knowledge of all. It need not be a stock part, but be sure to put down the model of car, component, year, and engine (where applicable). For example, don't just say Iron SBC head, say Iron World Products head for SBC, etc. Anyhow, I will get the ball rolling with a few components I have weighed. I will be adding more, such as the Aluminum hood in the future. Please though, someone post the weight of the steel hood, bumpers, etc. ( Please make this a Sticky!!!)

Dash for Cutlass with no switches, gauges, radio or wiring: 23.6 lbs

R-4 A/C compressor with clutch: 17lbs

Weld Draglite wheel, 15x8.5: 14.8 lbs

Global West Upper front Control Arm: Just under 10 lbs ea.

Cutlass Supreme Brougham 60/40 split front seat, driver's side with power: 55.8lbs

1992-95 Honda Civic 2 door driver's seat with tracks: 33.2 lbs

Steel 85 Cutlass 2 door front fender stripped to bare steel: 11.6lbs

Plastic/aluminum Modine replacement radiator for 3rd gen V8 F car: 9.4 lbs

Power steering gear box, 1984 Monte SS quick ratio: 28.4lbs

Door Glass, 86 Monte Carlo: 15.8 lbs

T-5 manual transmission from V6 4th gen F body: 82lbs

Aluminum hood, with hinges and no springs: 25.4lbs

Fender with 2 paint jobs, Bondo, and primer surfacer: 12.4 lbs

Copper-Brass radiator from a 1972 AMC Hornet: 18lbs
(Please someone post a G body Copper-Brass 3 core)

Another area of weight savings most of us do not think about is the battery. I weighed a 35 series battery and got 38.8 lbs. I wonder what the small battery used in a Civic would weigh?

Complete cruise control system from 86 Monte Carlo: too light for my bathroom scale to measure.

Now, get out your bathroom scale and start weighing stuff!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The Junkyard. I found it by accident. It is super-hard to find one, but you may get lucky if you search for one. Mine was on an oddball car in that it was a Cutlass Salon with T tops and a diesel engine. You can also get bumpers with aluminum supports instead of steel, and they are far more common.

Anyhow, here's another addition:

Door Glass, 2 door (Monte Carlo): 15.8 lbs per side

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly

HFX

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA
85 Cutlass Brougham said:

That would require me removing mine. Not happening right now buddy. You can get an after market aluminum one pretty easily that will replace it. However, expect to have to make shims to make them fit properly.

I'll check when I get home if I still have the shipping invoice which may have the weight on it.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
I can way my front bumper with aluminum support, and potentially my hood today/tomarrow

I already ditched all the stuff I stripped off the car or id be able to weigh more stuff.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
HFX said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:

That would require me removing mine. Not happening right now buddy. You can get an after market aluminum one pretty easily that will replace it. However, expect to have to make shims to make them fit properly.

I'll check when I get home if I still have the shipping invoice which may have the weight on it.

It would require me removing mine as well. I am not asking anyone to take their car apart, only for those of us who have our cars torn down to take a few minutes and weigh some of the components we already have removed.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
I made this a sticky. I combined a few posts into one. More to come.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Weighed another thing tonight:

1996 Honda Civic battery: 28 lbs.-- A savings of 10.8 lbs over the stock one in my G body. It is a top post, so you would need the adapters to make it work.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Stock steel hood from a 1979 AMC Spirit ( slightly smaller than a G body hood) 41lbs.

speaker box with two 10 in subs: 36lbs

GM direct drive starter motor with solenoid: 14lbs

15x7 steel wheel with 225 70 R15 tire: 54lbs ea.

16x8 aluminum Enkei 92 wheel with 225 60 16: 41.8lbs

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor