The "Other" Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Now that I figured out how to post photos I can finally get a few pictures of my 81 Malibu on here.

This has been a long time project. If anyone is from WV you might have seen the car around there back in the day. I bought it as a finished car that needed transmission work. Its been painted since 1989.
Since I bought it its gotten a new 406 built, a 400TH and a Moser 12 bolt. Everything on the frame from the firewall forward has been replaced. The interior has also had some changes since I bought it.

Ive had this car apart for a long time. I started out strong but as time progressed life just got in the way so it just sat in the garage. Im sure there many guys on this site that can relate to that.
But its coming together. Slow but steady !
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0298.JPG
IMG_0297.JPG

Reactions: 13 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
malibu007.jpg
malibu005.jpg
Malibu 003.jpg
malibu004.jpg

Back when I bought the 81 it had a bench seat interior that was slightly customized by the previous owner. I bought a set of Monte buckets and had the seats and door panels redone. I used the same cloth that the previous owner used but I had the door panels done more like Monte SS panels. The solid cloth is from an 81 Pontiac and the inserts are 81 Olds. Its an odd color, Medium Jadestone, but its the original color. The Chevy cloth for 81 wasnt as nice as the other brands so I understand why the other guy used them.

If anyone ever wants to find original GM cloths or vinyl call SMS Auto Fabric. They have just about EVERYTHING Gm ever offered. I was amazed.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
If anyone ever wants to find original GM cloths or vinyl call SMS Auto Fabric. They have just about EVERYTHING Gm ever offered. I was amazed.

Nice car! SMS is a good source but last time I checked for 1986 Olds medium blue houndstooth fabric for my car they were out. Get your stuff while you still can....

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Nice!!! Those buckets look comfy, where did you say there from Monte carlo? What year?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Nice!!! Those buckets look comfy, where did you say there from Monte carlo? What year?

Mid 80s Monte SS. The foam was shot when I got the seats so I knew I had to replace it so I bought new seat buns before I took the seats to the shop. They feel like new seats.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
WOW, that is a VERY clean Malibu. Everything looks spotless and perfect. It's like a new car but better.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Well, every once in a while I see a car on this forum that just really catches my eye. Absolutely love this!! Right down to the 81 specific cloth seat inserts and color, timeless and beautiful man!
What color is that paint?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor