The post on my mirror broke, How do I fix this

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I have an 1987 Monte Carlo LS. The passenger side mirror was never tight since I owned the car. I am referring to the complete unit attaching to the door, not the glass. The rear post was missing in the mirror that the 10mm nut attaches to inside the door. It was only held on by the front post and nut. So I decided that since it was real loos I would tighten the front one, well that came out too and I have no mirror now on the door. Question is what is the best way to put the post back into the stripped holes? I was thinking of getting some stainless threaded rod and inserting it with some JB weld into the holes to have new post, would that hold over time?

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: I have a remote passenger side mirror and it broke off going thru a car wash. It was loose so that's probably why it broke off but I got some epoxy and put it in place. It's holding up so far but try and find a remote passenger side mirror for a 86T? No more car washes with my G body.
IBBY

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You could Heli Coil it that way the new studs will thread in but it probably would not be cost effective unless you own a kit, maybe try running a thread chaser in there to clean up the threads a little and give it something to bite into and then add your JB weld and threaded rod.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
You could Heli Coil it that way the new studs will thread in but it probably would not be cost effective unless you own a kit, maybe try running a thread chaser in there to clean up the threads a little and give it something to bite into and then add your JB weld and threaded rod.
I had not thought about the thread chaser, I was going to use a little nylon bristle brush I used to clean out paint sprayers. I just cannot see buying the Heli Coil kit just for this part.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If it is accessible maybe drill it out the next larger size either metric or standard and re tap it and use that size stud and nut.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor