The Purple Monkey Dishwasher TBSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
What's the big deal? They pay him book plus taxes, he buys it back for 10%, fixes it for cheap and continues to use it.
Agreed. At least here, they will pay you off, you get to keep the vehicle and can fix it yourself. Better than scrapping the vehicle.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Agreed. At least here, they will pay you off, you get to keep the vehicle and can fix it yourself. Better than scrapping the vehicle.

Do you know what's even better than that? Making it right. Because that is what we pay exorbitantly high rates for.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Then it has a salvage title and the insurance company is off the hook for any related problems that emerge over the next two years. That's what the big deal is.

Monetarily speaking, will you not come out ahead this way? Clean or not, money is money.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Monetarily speaking, will you not come out ahead this way? Clean or not, money is money.

Where exactly am I going to fit fixing this thing into my schedule? Time is fleeting and finite.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm with you. It's not like it's a one of 547 gnx. Besides, it wasn't that long ago when there was talk of just selling it altogether?

Way I see it, take the payoff, buy back the salvage, throw a plow on it, and next winter's plow vehicle just got bought for 10% of market value. That's 90% off retail for the math challenged.

Then, either pocket the rest acting like the truck was sold, or, kick in the 10% and just buy another of the same thing.

Either way effectively got a plow mule for 10% of the normal cost. Can't beat that.

• Haha

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Do you know what's even better than that? Making it right. Because that is what we pay exorbitantly high rates for.
I totally support you fighting them to make them fix it. They are supposed to make you whole again on the deal. My point is it looked like a light hit and my perspective is, I'd take the money and fix it myself before letting them have it.

Refuse to settle on it and tell them your back has started hurting. Refuse to settle with them on any medical claim until they fix your truck. That will get them motivated.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not sure how different claims are between down here & up there but can you get your own estimates from s few other shops? I do every time I have to deal with claims. Another question is can you pick your own shop or use the insurance company's prefered shop? We get to choose our shop.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Not sure how different claims are between down here & up there but can you get your own estimates from s few other shops? I do every time I have to deal with claims. Another question is can you pick your own shop or use the insurance company's prefered shop? We get to choose our shop.

Province runs the insurance racket here. For a vehicle of this vintage they do their own estimates. I managed to sweet talk them into letting me choose my own shop. I haven't seen the estimate yet... got to follow up on that today.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So I gather you want it fixed (the buyout value is likely considerably less than what its worth?)

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So I gather you want it fixed (the buyout value is likely considerably less than what its worth?)

They assessed the MSRP at $55,000 CDN (retail was about $60K at the time we got it), adjusted for inflation that is $75,000-80,000 today. Pretty accurate for a loaded SUV with a V8 in 2022. The condition of my vehicle was assessed as being excellent (duh...), and is going to be hard to replace. So yes, unless they are cutting me a check for $80K I expect to be made whole. I just got the estimate and it is $8,800 to repair, and if the threshold for repair is 63% (based on what I have been told) we can assess their book value of the vehicle at around $14K. It was last appraised at $20K (before the transmission upgrade). Market value, especially with the current state of the economy, is likely much higher.

I challenge anyone to find me an equivalent in Canaderp.

Now I get to make this argument. Should be a treat.

• Angry
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor