The Regal (Luckily) Went Road Racing Finally! (huge post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
SCROLL TO FIRST RED LINE FOR SHORT RACING CLIPS

SCROLL TO SECOND RED LINE FOR ZQ8 WHEEL AND 200-4R TRANSGO KIT OWNERS

Overview:
So about August last year my lug nuts came loose while driving, I lost a wheel, and folded up a fender (among other things). I started making a mad dash this year to get ready for SBR/SCCA's first autocross of the season and had all of my parts lined up, except for extended lower ball joints from a supplier who will go unnamed. (Long story. No harm, no foul, but only just barely. Rhymes with XZ&Z. Will PM if interested.) I missed that event and ~2 weeks and many phone calls later I had new lower ball joints on rush delivery from Speedway. They got to me with 5 days to spare from the event I wanted to attend most this year: A combined autocross and track night at Gingerman Raceway. What follows are the fender swap, Blazer spindle swap, extended LBJ installation, Eibach spring installation, float bowl change, rough alignment, race day video, and post-race day technical information, all documented as well as time would allow.

I'll start with what I got done before the first event (the one I missed) before it became apparent that I wouldn't be seeing my lower ball joints for a while. Here's a mock-up of the 2WD Blazer Spindles from Timo22 (thanks again!) with my Timken hubs and AC Delco re-man'd calipers from RockAuto:

In lieu of buying a brand new set of rolling stock, I was able to find a replacement T-Type wheel on ebay from a salvage yard in Texas for about 100 bucks. It has some lumps of extra alumnium, but it is indeed a GM wheel. Shame I ruined the old one.

I used VHT caliper paint from a spray can to add a little personality to my brakes. If I remember correctly I did about 5 light coats in between yard work.

I did the color coat with them sitting on paper-covered jack stands. This didn't allow me to hit them from beneath, but in hindsight I decided it wouldn't matter since I still had to spray clear and you'd never see the bottom anyway. Had I sprayed the bottom, the can would have run dry. (This is a one-can-minimum. You won't be able to do it with less.)

For clear coat, I hung the calipers from saw horses. Again, it was about 4-5 coats before the can ran dry. I was able to cure the paint later in a small toaster oven at 200 degrees F for 1 hour. The paint seems to indeed be brake fluid resistant as advertised, but I recommend you do good prep work. All I did was degrease the calipers and I did not use VHT caliper primer. My finish is prone to chipping. You may have better results if you sand yours and use primer. Regardless, I am pleased with the results:

I also experimented with "rolling the fenders" but that's a thread for a different time.

Next up is everything done the week prior to the race.
Just for the sake of showing it, here we are at the beginning with the hood and fender removed:

While I had good access, I removed a lot of nasty rust from my radiator core support and added a healthy coat of paint. Be sure to check this area of your car for rust and remove any nasty chunks with a hammer & chisel, and blow it out with some compressed air.
Blow this area out when finished, and protect your face while doing so. Lots of rusty pieces went flying.

Moving past front end disassembly (which I have no pics of) let's move onto the lower ball joints. I ordered them out of the Speedway catalog. They have a section of extended joints with corresponding "MOOG" part numbers. They come in an advertised .500" and 1.000" of extra pin length and Speedway also stocks a universal dust boot that you can use. (Keep in mind that these extended LBJs will lower your ride height and alter your steering tie-rod angle)
These lower ball joints are "rebuildable" and tolerances need to be set. If possible, do this with the LBJ installed in the lower A-arm. The process is simple and the instructions are easy enough. Just make sure that you have a wrench that's big enough. Better yet, they sell a cheap tool to do this. It's right next to the joints in the catalog.

I don't have installation pictures, but when installing front springs make sure that the bottom of the spring is resting correctly in the recessed area of the lower A-arm. Not doing this can result in an incorrect ride height and a difference from one side of the car to the other.

I also altered my alignment shim count and flipped my cross-shafts on my upper A-arms to try and alter my camber and caster. I did an okay job, but the process was too involved to stop and document and not professional enough to share here. I have no idea what my current caster is (should be more than it was) but I think I set my camber somewhere between -1.7 and -2.2 degrees. (My dad's angle finder has some variation from side to side, and I was holding it against a ruler which was held against the face of my rims.)

Here's how my current upper A-arm angle looks with 1/2 inch taller UBJs, 1/2 inch taller LBJs, and Eibach Pro-Kit springs:
With them pointing upward like that, anymore suspension compression should only result in a further increase of negative camber. :banana:
(The uppers I use are Spohn Tall Spindle uppers. They have a shorter distance between the cross shaft and the ball joint. FWIW, they also still have bump-stops.)

And now the brakes! Here's a stock G-body pad vs a 2WD Blazer pad:

The pads I'm using here are Wanger Severe Duty Commercial pads. They come with these little anti-rattle clips you have to put on. The ones stamped "L" all fit loosely enough to just fall off, but a quick pinch in a vice solves that.

G-Body:
2-piston 2WD Blazer:
I'm switching from Belltech 2-inch-drop spindles to Blazer standard height spindles here. Or basically I should say I'm going back to a standard height spindle in general. Look closely and you can see the difference in distance between the top of the rotor and the upper A-arm in each photo.

Reactions: 2 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
As you may have read here, new replacement G-body hoses will work after you remove the thick boots they have, but they are at their limit. I'd recommend slightly longer hoses, or switching to the Blazer style frame brackets and modify your hardlines accordingly. Speaking of which, be ready to add new hardlines. I got extremely lucky and didn't have to fix or replace my stock brake lines, but the process wasn't pretty and I will be replacing them very soon. In short, my driver's side installation was done with vice grips. :puke:
Side-by-side:

The rotors were from Amazon using RockAuto's part numbers to find them. They were cheapy-cheap, but at least had paint on them where the pads don't ride. They were in RockAuto's economy section for 2000 Blazer rotors. They're working just fine under extreme conditions so far.

Ready for the fender! I took the replacement apart, painted the inside, and used the better-condition hardware from the stock fender. The plastic inner fender was re-used here, as well as the stock brackets, hinges, and horns.

One last look at the bare side. Here you can see the extreme angle of the N/A 3.8 V6 power steering pump I used. It's best to have the tops of some old socks doubled over and zip-tied onto the neck of the pump, being sure to have fabric extending above the cap. This will prevent you from making an absolute mess (or at least less of one) during hard cornering. Be sure to add the zip-tie and use a solid cap with no holes. (I'm using the cap from my Olds 307's pump, since the 3.8 cap came with a hole in the center)

I was able to hang the complete fender without help, but I urge you to loosen all of your header panel bolts or just remove it completely. There are two pins on it which extend into the fender. You need to pull the header panel forward in order to get the fender all the way in. If the header panel isn't loose then there's an extreme risk of breaking it. Just remove it if you have the time, loosely hang the fender, and put the header panel back on.
Here's Saturday evening. It was a full day and I only snapped this one picture. It's right after I set the toe angle with 4 pieces of string, 4 center punches, and a tape measurer. While I was doing that, my dad was helping me out by putting on some center-swivel style float bowls, and some larger jets. (It's an emissions-friendly era Holley 600. We kept the main body and primary metering block. Other than that, we basically converted it into a stock dual-feed 600cfm.) Also, while my dad was finishing that, my good friend with the red '89 RX-7 replaced my header collector gaskets for me as I tackled my driver's side window track which had been badly bent during my mishap. The largest arm of the scissor lift had been twisted beyond the point of function. My friend and I eventually solved this with a large C-clamp and a strong piece of flat steel. Working through the largest hole in the door shell, my friend held the flat steel in place as I cranked down on the C-clamp, thus adequately straightening the large arm of the scissor lift.
clamp--> flat steel | ) bent arm <--clamp
force
--> flat steel || bent arm <--force
As the sun went down, we checked the carb for function and leaks. After dinner, we came back out and put the hood on with flashlights. Then it was time to bed the brakes in, so I took the car to the gas station for the first time in a year and checked the rest of the car out on the drive home. After I got home, I put the door panels back on and did my best to straighten the steering wheel position out with the tie-rod sleeves. My friend drug me inside at about 1am, and I was a little upset that I never got to change my power steering hoses. (This was before I tried out the "zip-tied sock" trick and I wasn't sure exactly where the high-G leak was coming from at that point. (It was just the cap.))

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
--------------------------------------RACE DAY---------------------------------------------

We got about 3 1/2 hours of sleep (maybe), I did my best to nervously drive down 3 or 4 bites of breakfast, we loaded up our helmets (and extra hoses and tools just in case), and we headed out on our 1 hour journey to Gingerman! Nerves were high, but our cars were behaving nicely. The Regal was tracking straight, stopping well, and didn't have a leak to speak of. With the 200-4R and 3.73s I was spinning a livable 2500rpm around 75 or so mph. Used about 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank. Temps and pressure were good.

I took a moment to film out of my peripheral view, being sure to stay focused mainly on the road:

It's always fun to run into other racers making their way to the track on the morning-of. We let this S2000 take point:

We made it to the track, I found my brother who was there with extra tools (and also there just to hang out and be an awesome brother) and we immediately got to work getting the Regal and the RX-7 ready to go through tech inspection. All loose items have to be removed as well as the driver's floor mat. I went through tech and received an annual tech sticker, meaning I don't need to go through tech for the rest of the year as long as I don't change my setup! :banana:

When I pulled back into our spot, we scrambled to put my ZQ8 wheels on (which have Hankook C51 tires on them). We had to stop mid-way for the drivers' meeting. After that, we quickly finished up and I drove into grid for the first run group.

What follows are all clips that my brother captured on his phone, including the afternoon track time which I will briefly explain.

The track night was a blast, and I learned more about driving the car in the first session alone than all of my past autoX events combined. (You just have so much more time to focus and practice technique.) There are three run groups. I ran in Novice. There was also Intermediate and Advanced. There were 3 sessions per group, each lasting about 20 minutes. I had to miss the 2nd one to go get more gasoline, but I still caught the 3rd group. I mostly hung around another friend with an '05-'06ish Mustang GT. He had me in the straights with a stock engine, but I was able to out-brake and out-corner him. I was very impressed with my brakes. The Wagner SD pads made a good deal of dust but never felt soft. My highest speed was about 92-94mph in 3rd gear. My friend in the GT was able to get up to 110-115mph. The car finished in one piece and I drove her home that night without any drama.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
---------------------------------POST-RACE OBSERVATIONS AND ISSUES----------------------------------------

Although everything went as good as I could hope for there are a couple points to touch on which can help others in the future:
-Wheel clearance
-Transmission fluid

Wheel clearance.
First off, I was running a 255 tire all the way around. 255 tires DO NOT fit flawlessly up front. There was severe rubbing on the frame and sway bar. (Then again, even my 235s rub the bar during full lock.) Without negative camber, they will rub the fender up top as well. This will of course negatively affect your rolling speed.
But there was a bigger problem. During the hardest of hard steering, the inside lip of my ZQ8 (S10 Xtreme) wheels were contacting my lower A-arm, causing a very nasty looking shaving effect on my wheels. This problem would have been worse had I not been using stick-on wheel weights. Clip-on style weights would have been knocked off. I know this is a semi popular wheel, so to those of you who own them: don't go to full lock on your steering wheel (especially at high speed) without a small spacer or some tubular lower A-arms or something. The contact happens at the "aft" or "rearward" side of the A-arm, closer to the firewall. Or I guess I could say "not the side where the steering knuckle and end links are."
The wheels are still in good order, but I don't think I'll ever be re-selling them. They just look too sketchy.

Transmission fluid.
I use a 200-4R with a TransGo shift reprogrammer (shift kit). I've noticed that whenever I'd race an autocross, I'd leak ATF. Well, it was coming out of the vent line. Thus, I rigged up a catch can out of a Progresso soup can and some hose. Problem solved, and I was able to observe the amounts of lost fluid as being very small. Well, I don't know when the last time I emptied the catch was, and a full day of racing including revving to redline turn-after-turn trying to catch a Mustang went ahead and filled up the rest of the catch can. By the end of the last session, ATF was hitting the mufflers and I was leaving smoke until I hit 3rd gear. Basically, there's nothing to worry about here other than user up-keep. I just need to dump the can more often, especially around track time. (I probably hadn't dumped it in a year.)
But, for those of you interested who might need something similar for your own application, here's my catch can:

Now basically this is just a de-labeled Progresso soup can with the top mostly siliconed shut. Note the bent lid.

For size comparison, here it is next to Bush's Baked Beans. The Progresso can is the optimum size (at least in the soup isle) for the free space we have to work with. Not too tall, yet still wide.

Here you can see the mess I made, but also the passenger-side area where the can goes. You can also see the "Z shaped" bracket using a trans pan bolt for a mount, and the piece of hose I slipped over the 200-4R vent line using a bit of grease and my tiny hands.

If you can, it's easier to slip the hose on if the trans is dropped. Leave enough hose so that it pretty much touches the bottom of your can. (Just wait to trim it until everything else is done.) Remember that slight bend in the can lid? That's so it's just tight enough to put drag on the hose, but still loose enough to pull the hose out / put the hose in when you have to dump the can.

The bracket itself came out of an "EXIT" sign. I just bent it, trimmed it, and drilled it. The two notches were there naturally, but they are part of our bracket design here. Those notches "capture" a large band clamp, which holds our soup can in place. Here are two detail shots, followed by a shot of the can in position. The design is crude but very effective and has been keeping ATF off of race courses for about 3 years now. Just make sure you check it occasionally!

Thanks for giving it a look and I hope some of you find this interesting or helpful. I'd be happy to go into more detail with anything I mentioned in the post. Just let me know!

• Creative
Reactions: 7 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Just because I was proud of her and I forgot to add this, here she is the next morning:

Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wish i had SCCA track like that around me. Ours are run in empty parking lots and you usually don't getover 35mph

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Well done! It takes a man with large balls to endeavour into racing (other than Drag) with a G-body *adjusts his underwear* - keep at it, and keep refining the car.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Nice job and I like your courage. To deal with the front tire rub I removed the stops on the lower control arms, drilled a hole and used 7/16" bolt and a few nuts to make adjustable stops. As far as having to run negative camber that is what you want anyway, I run 1° negative on my GP. For the leaking transmission fluid you can add a cooler to system and you might want to check to see if the power steering fluid is getting too hot. We added a small rad to the power steering lines. If loose steering fluid that has a good chance of ending up on your left front wheel. The power steering pump isn't made to run at high rpm's for a long time.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Wish i had SCCA track like that around me. Ours are run in empty parking lots and you usually don't getover 35mph

Most of the events I've gone to are similar. I usually go to the Tire Rack and we use their little test course and make different layouts on it. I hardly ever leave 1st gear. Other than this event, my only other high speed event was a 2-day down at Grissom Aeroplex. Both Grissom and Gingerman are upwards of an hour away. Check out your neighboring SCCA regions and see if they go anywhere fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor