MALIBU The Root Beer Float ('83 Malibu Wagon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GVan

n00b
Mar 18, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Hey guys,
New to G-body's and looking forward to learning from the forum while tinkering with a new toy.

This 1983 Malibu Wagon (which I've dubbed "The Root Beer Float") was bought new by my grandmother in '83. She drove it for quite some time then it sat for a few years before gramps decided to do something with it. I don't recall what engine was in it (probably a 307) but he replaced that with a slightly leaned on 400ci small block in front of a strong Turbo 350. It has headers into 2-1/4" dual exhaust w/ Flowmasters so it sounds fairly healthy and moves down the road pretty well. It definitely gets some surprised looks when you fire it up in the Trader Joe's parking lot.

Definitely plan to stay with the sleeper / grocery getter concept. I'll make a post in the right section when I get a chance, but short term it needs weatherstripping all the way around and some paintless dent removal. Longer term I think it needs a posi, the typical suspension and brake upgrades (which I've already found some great posts about), another pedal w/ a few more gears, and maybe even some sort of spinny thing to push more air and fuel into the engine... we shall see. It's going to be fun.

I'm new to PDX so, if there's any local guys reading this, drop me a note if you have any Portland G-Body knowledge like where to get parts or meet-ups or what not.

Don't have any good pictures at the moment but these will give you an idea.

20180318_083457-1.jpg

IMG-20180312-WA0052.jpeg

Cheers!
-G

Reactions: 8 users

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Welcome to the site !
great story , great starting point and a cool name for the wagon.

looking forward to your future posts as you built it your way.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Gramps sounds like a cool dude.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Welcome! Wagon looks to be in good shape. Cool that it was your grandparents. Will be watching for updates.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard!
Great to see another cool wagon joining our ranks. I like the color, too. Looking at it you'd never know that there's a 400 smallblock under the hood. I guess Gramps was a hotrodder in his own right.
Keep us up to date on your upgrades.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Nice! My parents had one just like that (with a V6 though) when I was a kid. I barely remember it because it was probably the very early '90s and I was born in '90, but I just barely remember riding in the cargo area with my brother.

GVan

n00b
Mar 18, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
Grandpa was definitely a hot-rodder and he wanted someone to appreciate this car, so I'm on it. He went through a lot of hot GM's in his days but one of the more recent ones was a '78 Malibu that was NOT a sleeper at all. (unfortunately that one got T-boned and has become a donor car).
We have a couple other G-body's in the family; my dad has a '78 GMC Diablo, which is on deck to receive the engine/trans out of the '78 Malibu, and my mom drove an '84 Cutlass Brougham which has been parked since about '03.

Cheers!

edit: apparently the '78s are not G-bodies... A-bodies? anyhow... they all seem to be relevant here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor