the saga of "Ralph"

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Meet "Ralph". he's a 1990 K1500 3505spd... I don't know why I started calling him Ralph, guess I look at him and think of the Wiley Coyote character...

1596587682688.png

here's his story:

one of the guys I used to work with was preparing to move out to S. Dakota, and was getting rid of some stuff, and mentioned his old chevy p/u, and said if I was interested, that I could have it for $500... course, he pretty much made me buy it at that price, being 4x4/350/5spd... said he'd parked it because he thinks the rear wheel bearing had gone bad, and had always meant to get it fixed, but something had always come up to push it further to the back burner, where it simmered for 12 years.....

1596581377392.png
1596581418842.png

* my chevy friends hate the next pic... :LOL:

1596581588803.png

I towed it home, and had it sold to a buddy, but kinda fell through for a while, as covid caught him in a layoff/ holding pattern for a short while, and combined with my F-150 wanting to continuously set a cel no matter what I've thrown at it, and can't get it in for state inspection/registration. thus, enters in extra $$ and time to get it running well enough to be a back up DD to the Grand prix... I'd had to replace the fuel pump, 2 filters, both TB injectors and fuel pressure reg, intake manifold gasket, cap/rotor/plugs. the rear wheel bearing? well, when I cracked open the diff cover to pull the shaft and inspect the bearing, I became instantly worried when no fluid came out...personally, I've never seen anything like this....
after installing a junkyard axle, it's driveable... I'm still working out the bugs, including having to drop the tank... evidently, I didn't clean all the crap out of the tank, and it's slowly stopping up the pump sock as it runs...

as it stands, I'm in over where I wanted to be cost-wise, so it looks as though I'll be driving it for awhile... good thing it's actually in good shape body and interior-wise. the only rust issue is the normal rust through in the rear corners, and no dents. the interior is in good shape other than the headliner, and the radio is actually working like new.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor