The simple things that make me happy (Garage Rehab)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Long winded. Right now I’m still living with my parents, which means I have to share the garage with my dad. Its a decent oversized 2 car, but the stairs leading into the house, and kick out for the laundry room take up quite a bit of space. Not to mention its storage for 2 motorcycles and a ton of other parts and equipment we’ve accumulated over the years.
815AD5BA-302F-4BD2-B3CF-EF9AF7D5803A.jpeg

(Yes, that’s a T-Bucket hanging from the ceiling)

My dad’s ‘85 Trans Am has been sitting unfinished since it was painted in 2000. Its really close to being road worthy, needs a full set of brake/fuel lines, put the interior back in, wheels/tires, stupid fiddly stuff. My dad is the kind of guy that always puts everything before his own stuff.

I couldn’t take it anymore, I want to make side by side laps with my Dad at the drag strip in 2021. Which brings me to where I am now.

We’re lucky to have a space to work indoors, but it was a mess. One of my biggest pet peaves is having to clean up just to start working in the garage. So over the last few weeks I’ve been hard at trying to make the best use of this space.

3B8901B4-44D0-4C74-B1F5-5738F52D3333.jpeg

Our Harley-Davidson Tour Pak’s are now wall mounted for easy access. I’m working on figuring out some helmet and glove storage also.

0542161A-BD75-4D60-AA13-D5033A91AFBC.jpeg

12,000 BTU heat/AC unit installed, as well as a 60 gallon air compressor. Wall mounted TV and sound bar, I hate working in a quiet garage.
4E131E0D-2F88-4F5B-9BA7-571B432321CC.jpeg

99AC796C-A71A-4F93-93F4-0A0309A5DEA3.jpeg

Here’s my absolute favorite part so far. I ordered a bolt bin so we can organize the buckets and buckets of hardware we have. It feels so good to just walk up to the cabinet and within seconds you have what you need. Long gone are the days of dumping your nuts and bolts out on the floor.

I built a little drip tray and storage rack for oily funnels and hoses.

I also ordered some 3-drawer storage carts for organizing all our scrap metal (aluminum, steel, etc.)

3F61073C-E7F1-42BE-97AA-5D9B3D11A89D.jpeg

Organized fluids and shop supplies are a necessity.

2D1A92FD-5698-4ABF-9C16-53461DDDA9B0.jpeg

13A5FA3B-A380-43B5-B200-5542F806FD93.jpeg

I enjoy detailing, and am constatly buying new supplies and chemicals, so this little detaling shrine makes me pretty happy as well.

There is still a looooong way to go in terms of organization, but it feels so good to have a nice usable space.

Attachments

• 01CE18FE-6E6F-4BC1-898F-A8454AFD80FC.jpeg
    01CE18FE-6E6F-4BC1-898F-A8454AFD80FC.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 270
  • Winner
Reactions: 16 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Long winded. Right now I’m still living with my parents, which means I have to share the garage with my dad. Its a decent oversized 2 car, but the stairs leading into the house, and kick out for the laundry room take up quite a bit of space. Not to mention its storage for 2 motorcycles and a ton of other parts and equipment we’ve accumulated over the years.
View attachment 163352
(Yes, that’s a T-Bucket hanging from the ceiling)

My dad’s ‘85 Trans Am has been sitting unfinished since it was painted in 2000. Its really close to being road worthy, needs a full set of brake/fuel lines, put the interior back in, wheels/tires, stupid fiddly stuff. My dad is the kind of guy that always puts everything before his own stuff.

I couldn’t take it anymore, I want to make side by side laps with my Dad at the drag strip in 2021. Which brings me to where I am now.

We’re lucky to have a space to work indoors, but it was a mess. One of my biggest pet peaves is having to clean up just to start working in the garage. So over the last few weeks I’ve been hard at trying to make the best use of this space.

View attachment 163353
Our Harley-Davidson Tour Pak’s are now wall mounted for easy access. I’m working on figuring out some helmet and glove storage also.

View attachment 163351
12,000 BTU heat/AC unit installed, as well as a 60 gallon air compressor. Wall mounted TV and sound bar, I hate working in a quiet garage.
View attachment 163350
View attachment 163349
Here’s my absolute favorite part so far. I ordered a bolt bin so we can organize the buckets and buckets of hardware we have. It feels so good to just walk up to the cabinet and within seconds you have what you need. Long gone are the days of dumping your nuts and bolts out on the floor.

I built a little drip tray and storage rack for oily funnels and hoses.

I also ordered some 3-drawer storage carts for organizing all our scrap metal (aluminum, steel, etc.)

View attachment 163359
Organized fluids and shop supplies are a necessity.

View attachment 163357
View attachment 163358
I enjoy detailing, and am constatly buying new supplies and chemicals, so this little detaling shrine makes me pretty happy as well.

There is still a looooong way to go in terms of organization, but it feels so good to have a nice usable space.
Nice work, when you go from no space to some space it feels like an awesome accomplishment.

Detailing is a horrible addiction. I have all the tools and supplies to get the dripping wet paint look, yet I still buy new polishes and LSPs. For what? I’ll never know but it makes me zen.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Im/was in the same boat(garage) at my mom's, I kept it clean and organized.i was working in CO for the last 10 years and was only home for the holidays just long enough to dust down everything and not doing anything. In 17' mom buys another impala and out goes my car and my stuff is scattered around in every corner but where I had it, and that because my mom's BF had the bs idea of making a work out area that never panned out. Now I'm home and I'm doing everything outside till I can get this carport with a storage/ work area shed deal put up at the first of the year(covid has the installers down)

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You can stop over and give lessons!

I know the feeling - I’m been working on the same kinda crap for two days. Reorganizing the basement (parts) and garage shelves that a several months of catching loose parts, nuts, bolts etc.

It’s amazing how much sheetz one can accumulate.

All I have to say is good job and be fortunate that most of its contained to a two car garage lol.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I'll take the bucket off your hands if it's steel. I mean I'm just trying to help

Reactions: 1 user

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Nice work, when you go from no space to some space it feels like an awesome accomplishment.

Detailing is a horrible addiction. I have all the tools and supplies to get the dripping wet paint look, yet I still buy new polishes and LSPs. For what? I’ll never know but it makes me zen.
Oh it really is. I'd love to have a wash bay and indoor space to detail. I've been putting off getting into the nitty gritty of polishing and ceramic coating installs because I have no place to do it inside. But it's good because in my opinion if you can't wash properly, and learn how to prep surfaces and apply products correctly, there is no point in learning anything else.
I'll take the bucket off your hands if it's steel. I mean I'm just trying to help
Haha. Its a Total Performance fiberglass car.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
That's ok. I found a 30 Oakland sedan today. 🤔

• Wow

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Your ocd would go nuts around my workspace... I rent a space in an scca club shop, and accumulate parts for 4 different cars...

Attachments

• C57F0CA2-5C2E-4086-9DDB-C1C3C4378B74.jpeg
    C57F0CA2-5C2E-4086-9DDB-C1C3C4378B74.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 258
  • Wow

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
The garage cleaning is rewarding. My dad has renewed motivation to finish his car. I pushed it outside recently so I could give it a wash and check for water leaks. Its the first time its seen sunlight or been washed in 10 years. It's mobile now, so we can move it outside if we want to pull something in the garage to work on it.

IMG_9541.jpeg IMG_9547.jpeg IMG_9551.jpeg IMG_9548.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor