The Time to Get Creative Was Yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don't suppose it'd be possible to stay on topic and keep things within the rules?

Its not hard.
I’ll buy you a beer - that’s within the rules (I think) unless you’re a Prohibitionist hehe.

Voting, writing letters, campaigning about the government that has laws that put the wood to US here is not political.

I appreciate and respect the rules - no one is making a pro_political anything post that I’ve seen thus far.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
All I did was put up a link for those that wish to support. Don't lock the thread up. People need to protect the rights of having more horsepower than they can possibly ever use and repaving roads with copious amounts of "sealant".

Reactions: 6 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Some of the deletes can give you better fuel mileage. I also know people with diesel pickups that it was cheaper to delete and tune than to replace all the emission parts on their truck. They still burn clean and their mileage went up.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
You know, Ignorance of the law is no excuse you know, you know what I mean. Home of the free to do whatever you want. You know the tag on parts of responsible manufactures that say you know Complies with EPA XXXX.

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
Having been an owner operator I can vouch... the mandated emissions on the class 8 units are detrimental to their performance and cleanliness. Fuel consumption was doubled from one year to the next, and when they switched over in 07 the service intervals were halved. The amount of fuel and oil wasted to remove the soot from the air IMHO is obscene. I get it... soot is ugly, but it's harmless. Insanity...

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I get it... soot is ugly, but it's harmless. Insanity...
The soot particulate may drop out of the air and may or may not be neutral from a greenhouse gas position.

But leaving that aside, if youve got a breathing issue like so many have, those clouds of soot? That leaves you gasping, hacking, and wheezing.

Multiply that by the number of units running at times in certain areas, and thats your problem.

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
So what I'm hearing is that it's better to burn more fuel to help cut down on emissions but then they come out with DEF to help cut emissions so instead of putting a little soot in the air constantly it's better to do one big dump of it a few times a day. Also how is more oil changes better for the environment?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So what I'm hearing is that it's better to burn more fuel to help cut down on emissions but then they come out with DEF to help cut emissions so instead of putting a little soot in the air constantly it's better to do one big dump of it a few times a day. Also how is more oil changes better for the environment?

The same way burning double the fuel to cut emissions is. Or offshoring production of goods to dirty countries thus requiring more crude to be burned to bring it to your door by folks who claim to be tree huggers.

Reactions: 1 users

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
So the EPA doesn't want you to modify for the better in most cases and keep an older car that just needs upkeep on the road and doesn't needs massive amounts of energy consumption to do this, and the newer cars the building company doesn't want you to repair any of there vehicles unless you take it to them and they in turn over charge every thing just to fix when they cheaped out in the first place so the life span of the new car is significantly less and has to be replaced. So we now waste more energy on cheaper disposable cars and these eco hippies dont see that. No one wants these new cars with now value so they will just pile up till we waste more energy to idk recycle them?? Plastic and chineseium is recyclable right

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Having been an owner operator I can vouch... the mandated emissions on the class 8 units are detrimental to their performance and cleanliness. Fuel consumption was doubled from one year to the next, and when they switched over in 07 the service intervals were halved. The amount of fuel and oil wasted to remove the soot from the air IMHO is obscene. I get it... soot is ugly, but it's harmless. Insanity...

Fuel economy did drop in the 1st stages of EGR and exhaust containing aftertreatment systems in the mid 2000's. But not now. 7-8.5mpg at 80,000lbs is common. That's almost double from the fuel economy of 20 years ago WITHOUT soot and 99.5% of the previous Nox discharge.

Making an argument to eliminate emissions on a diesel truck because soot isn't that bad, or it's cheaper is laughable. Emission standards aren't the enemy, and neither is the hotrodder. The enemy is the dingaling that doesn't understand the difference between a hotrodder burning 150 gallons per year and an operator burning 2000-40000 gallons per year. Yes, 40,000 gallons per year.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor