The Upgrade Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick 51

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2010
Chelsea,Mass
This is what I am working with. First changes are Bell Tech lowering springs, KYB gas shocks and replacement of the front end bushings with Energy Suspension parts.
IMG_0412.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

rick 51

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2010
Chelsea,Mass
All parts listed above plus new ball joints have been installed. Tune up with all new belts has been done, AC has been charged and heater box cleaned out. Just ordered rear brake kit to convert from drum brakes to disc, and a close ration steering box and more Energy Suspension bushings for the rear trailing arms. Not very " sexy " but improvements none the less!

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

rick 51

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2010
Chelsea,Mass
Slight change in plans instead of new bushings in rear trailing arms decided to go with Rear Control Arm kit from UMI.

Reactions: 1 user

rick 51

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2010
Chelsea,Mass
Installed SSBC rear brake conversion kit, pretty strait forward install, only had to make one call to their customer service line, and they walked me through it ! Next up close ratio steering box. Making progress slowly but surely !

Reactions: 1 users

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Does that rear controll arm kit come with those trailing arm reinforcement braces? Im wondering how well they work and whether they are worth it on my my mild pontiac 400 GP.

rick 51

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2010
Chelsea,Mass
Does that rear controll arm kit come with those trailing arm reinforcement braces? Im wondering how well they work and whether they are worth it on my my mild pontiac 400 GP.
Buzz sorry I just saw this, just opened boxes from UMI. There are upper and lower control arms and all the hardware and bushings needed for the install, went with this kit because am unsure on engine upgrades, but am pretty sure these parts will handle whichever way I end up going.

rick 51

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2010
Chelsea,Mass
Installed rear suspension parts and put the car back down on the ground, was sitting on jack stands. Backed car out of garage and went on maiden voyage but didn't get very far, something banging in the rear. Drove into the garage and jacked it up to discover one of the rear caliper bolts was hitting frame,rotated the caliper and gained a little clearance, but still very close. Just ordered some spacers specifically made for a-body coils, hopefully will install them on Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

rick 51

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2010
Chelsea,Mass
Spacers installed so I went for a ride this morning. Banging noise gone !!! Rides fantastic and handles well, very pleased with disc brake conversion, steering box is huge improvement. With stock motor and gears I won't be able to appreciate full potential of suspension improvements. Wheels and tires are next up.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

rick 51

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2010
Chelsea,Mass
Took some pictures after lowering.
IMG_0504.JPG

Spacers installed so I went for a ride this morning. Banging noise gone !!! Rides fantastic and handles well, very pleased with disc brake conversion, steering box is huge improvement. With stock motor and gears I won't be able to appreciate full potential of suspension improvements. Wheels and tires are next up.
IMG_0506.JPG

rick 51

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2010
Chelsea,Mass
Bring wheels to tire shop to have tires mounted. 2 boxes marked 17x8, 2 boxes marked 17x9 just as I ordered them. Tech unboxes everything and checks wheels only to find 1 is stamped 17x7, back to the parts store I go where the guy who ordered the wheels says, I guess I will call American Racing and ask them to overnight the right one since it wasn't your fault! I say " ask them" how about " tell them " !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor