The wife's Monte, and what to do with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

testcase448

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2014
A few years back I was looking for a Camaro, I went to look at one and the guy had a 88 Monte too. I wanted the Camaro because I have a shop full of go fast goodies for second gen F bodies.

The wife liked the Monte, so we compromised and got the Monte. ;)It was "drive able"- ish it needed some work.She wanted to fix it up to take to the car shows in Pigeon Forge and cruise around the Smokies where we went every spring and fall for a long weekend on our anniversary and her birthday.

Then my wife got cancer, she died before I got it to that point, although we did get to do some local stuff with it.

She made me promise to finish it and take it down to the Smokies, do the car show and the Tail of the Dragon. Which I did. Since it has languished as other things took precedence
I did swap in a 8.5 with a 4.10 gear
It is a solid, no rust southern body, but the paint has every flaw a cheap paint job could have, the guy we bought it from painted it in a shed. He wasn't very talented... It has a rebuilt 305, Eldebrock carb, headers, and a 700r4.
monte small.jpg

At one point I was going to make an IHRA Crate Motor Stocker out of it.. Go most of the pieces.
I'm just not sure where this car goes from here. I've thought about selling it, but it's tough sentimentally, and these don't bring much anyway.
I could put the 355 crate motor together and just cruise...

Reactions: 3 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings TestCase & all; Sorry to here of your lose. If ya have a place to keep it out of the weather, why not keep it around? As you noted they aren't going down in value, so if it stays rust free it may actualy go up in value over time?? And you can enjoy it for some time longer. I have to mention Tail of The Dragon, it's on my bucket list. So please post up any info you come across in the future, like for next year. Thanks & take care, Ole' Bob.

Reactions: 1 user

testcase448

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2014
Greetings TestCase & all; Sorry to here of your lose. If ya have a place to keep it out of the weather, why not keep it around? As you noted they aren't going down in value, so if it stays rust free it may actually go up in value over time?? And you can enjoy it for some time longer. I have to mention Tail of The Dragon, it's on my bucket list. So please post up any info you come across in the future, like for next year. Thanks & take care, Ole' Bob.
Thanks,
True, it doesn't eat much.. the problem is all the other projects eating up space.
I just need to eliminate a few, and decide on a direction for this one.
37BmU4
map-dragon.jpg
Dragon's tail is a blast, just don't end up on the "tree of shame" where they hang parts of bikes and cars that don't don't make it lol
11%20tree%20of%20shame%20Deals%20Gap.jpg

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
So sorry for your loss cant imagine how you feel and i completely under you wanting to keep it, if it was me i would keep it. Maybe make it into a pro-touring car? That would be super fun on the Tail of the Dragon.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

testcase448

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2014
So sorry for your loss cant imagine how you feel and i completely under you wanting to keep it, if it was me i would keep it. Maybe make it into a pro-touring car? That would be super fun on the Tail of the Dragon.
I need to research that option, the 70's designed steering could use an up date for sure.
Another thought I had was the Optima Battery "Ultimate Street Car" series

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I need to research that option, the 70's designed steering could use an up date for sure.
Another thought I had was the Optima Battery "Ultimate Street Car" series

That would be really fun to do. Thats kind of my goal with my 78 wagon. at least do some kind of cone chasing.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I would certainly keep it street-friendly, ready to hit the road whenever you feel the need. Sometimes you just can't beat a good cruise, and that doesn't require transporting the car anywhere on a trailer to achieve. Just grab the keys, hop in, and head out.
Maybe think about changing your gear ratio or adding an overdrive transmission.
Aside from refreshing the steering and suspension, to whichever level you desire, don't forget that one of the best upgrades you can add is a good set of wheels and tires. 15 inch wheels look good on older cars, but there aren't many sporty tire options until you get up to 17 inch wheels. Add some aftermarket swaybars on top of that and you'll already have a "sporty" feeling cruiser.

EDIT: Just saw you're running a 700R4. Disregard my overdrive comment!

Last edited:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The car doesn't owe you anything - so if you enjoy it drive it. The worst thing you can do is disable the car for a long period of time for a full build. It doesn't have to be fast to be fun.

On my Monte project the requirement I made was to keep it on the road and enjoy it in the Summers - slow or not.

Personally, I don't see the obligation for keeping it unless you want to - you kept your promise.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
^^Can't say it any better than this.

Sorry for your loss. I just want to add that my experience is that taking it apart too far and going in too deep is a dangerous thing. I pulled the engine and trans out of mine in November of 2014. It is still sitting there with no engine or trans because I keep letting the scope of the project get bigger. I've recently seriously considered taking a bath on it financially to get rid of it and get out from under it. For me, it's not fun having it sit around with more and more work needed to get it where "I want it". Right now I've decided to go no further into it, put it back together and start driving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor