theoldsone daily build

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
20140927_133649.jpg

Hey to all gbody owners. This is my 1987 olds cutlass supreme. I bought this car in august of 2014 as a daily and I love the way it looks and drives. It came with a 307/200r and a 2.??, 7.5 10bolt. I dove it around for a good while but I knew It needed some of my own touches. First of all the interior was blue and had those horrible 80's styled cushion seats. :puke: Headliner was sagging. It was a column shift instead of a floor/ console shift. Yea it wasnt 100%. So stopped driving it, parked it, and tore into the interior and rear end.

So the plans for the oldsmojunk change out the entire blue interior for a burgundy, no fur seats all leather :D. Wood grain steering wheel floor shift new carpet new mats new procar seats. Take care of the Headliner situation. And find all the parts I cant get "new" from a donor car. Second change out the rear end. Hey any of you guys reading this and own an olds cutlass 307 and havent changed out the ring and pinion do it! Those 307's feel underpowered behind the factory rear end ratios. Its probably the first thing id do. (I did). I bought a 3.73 ratio ring and pinion. Havent tested it yet but its 80% done as of now... In the end we shoukd be looking at a black out burgundy in and a nice posi rear end combo for a daily. I plan to drive to work every day in it and on the weekends cruise or head to car shows.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
The cushion seats from the '80's were 'THE GREATEST' ideas to ever roll out of the GM design studios!

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
For a daily driver, your first mods should actually be anti-theft measures. Thieves suck and they still like G-Bodies!

Nice Cutlass. Welcome.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Csilvy2000 said:
The cushion seats from the '80's were 'THE GREATEST' ideas to ever roll out of the GM design studios!
there not a bad idea real comfy. But I really didnt feel like rock'n out the granny seats. I want somthing more sport.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
MeanBuicks said:
For a daily driver, your first mods should actually be anti-theft measures. Thieves suck and they still like G-Bodies!

Nice Cutlass. Welcome.

Considering It is a daily I've thought about it but I haven't had any real ideas yet. Yea thieves these days arnt real easy to deflect.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
20141225_125212.jpg
Here is a pic of the steering wheel and column half installed. I have to dye the dash and after that touch up the wood grain trim that goes on the dash with a silver leaf paint pen. Its the small details that count in interior work. In the picture I have the red carpet installed with black floor mats all new.

Last edited:

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
20141225_132410.jpg
This is a picture of the guage cluster opened up. In order to paint the dash I had to remove it. The black guage cluster cover behind the plastic peice will be painted silver. In the end it should look like aluminum. I have a question for you g body guys. What should I do about dim bulbs for my guages are is there any one who fixed that problem. Iwas thinking led lights or...

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Most sporty seats would be 'bucket' for up front obviously, which will require you to re-locate the seat tracks unfortunately. Otherwise, the stock location of the bench seat tracks will accomodate the bench seat from some newer fwd olds / Cadillac of the 90s specifically Deville / Fleetwood / Concourse one of those should have the burgundy you are looking for w/ decent leather in it. Some 90s fwd olds actually have Lear seats wich are high quality leather too, but once again seat track would have to relocate for this seat.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
The studs that stick out from the floor are the same for bucket and bench. Im not going to get used seats im actualy ordering procar seats with model specific brakets to directly bolt onto my floor pan. Finding seats that ill like from a used car is gong to be a pain so ill ratger spend the extra coin.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Are you having the Procar seats custom made? It seems most of the leather offerings I have seen from them only have black as the color of choice and I would assume you want a burgundy or something that closely matches your new carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor