Thermal switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
I bought a summit racing fan relay and the switch is bad. If you ground the wire the fan comes on so I know my relay is good. I have read that these things take a crap quit often. Is there a way to test with an ohm meter? This one has just the one spare connector. Also I installed it in back of intake if that makes a difference.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
It never worked first time using it. I just wonder about the intake temperature in back if it maybe runs a lot cooler. I let it get up to about 230 before I shut it down. I think it supposed to trip at 185.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
All these aftermarket fan controller's suck. The thermal switches fail or the relays themselves. Maybe it is the amperage draw of my Stratus fans but the last Flexalite fan controller didn't work at all.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I check that don’t think did. It is an aluminum intake. I have a good engine ground on back of head bolted to frame.

you should check to make sure you have a good ground at the switch with a multimeter

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
All these aftermarket fan controller's suck. The thermal switches fail or the relays themselves. Maybe it is the amperage draw of my Stratus fans but the last Flexalite fan controller didn't work at all.

Starting a high amp fan on 12 volts will really load a system. The amp draw is super high until the fans get to their natural speed. Even with a controller (unless it was a PWM controller), I would have the controller turn on cheaper, replaceable relays.

I try to run dual fans in series then switch to parallel when the motor gets really hot. Dual fans in series draws very low amps, and since they are already running at 1/2 speed, the amp spike is less when they switch to full speed.

The only drawback with this (other than needing an extra relay), is if one fan dies, both fans die... until it gets hot enough to switch to parallel, then the good fan will kick on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor