thermostat and temp switch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnyR

Apprentice
Nov 15, 2009
Harvey IL,60426
need to replace the theromstat and install a fan temp switch on my 400 block with voteck heads i should have about 450hp when completed. and was wondering whats the ideal temp thermostat and temp switch should i be running be running on a street car that will not see temps under 25: degrees but will be driven as a daily driven summer car in theavy raffic.

180º-210º. The higher temps have come into play on fuel injected vehicles and emissions compliance, it helps burn gas more completely.

i'd stick with the 180-190*, unless you're going to use Evans NPG+ coolant, in which case i'd use a 205-210* as the NPG keeps the cylinders cooler even at the higher temps.

I've been running a flex-a-lite fan controller for a few years with pretty good results. I don't know what type or brand fan controller your using. On mine, it starts the fan at 60% power and I set it for 195 degrees. I have a 195 thermostat. If your stuck at a light the fan will slowly get faster if the radiator temp rises. I think that by 210 degrees the fan will be at 100%.

If I'm driving steadily and the airflow alone from driving is enough to cool the radiator to 195, then the fan automatically shuts off. It's also got an air condition sensor if you have a/c, so its on all the time if a/c is on. It also has a manual override to turn the fan on, and another override to force the fan off.

But basically if you have a 185 thermostat my thought is to run a 185 setting. If the fan can keep enough volume to cool the radiator, then it will cycle on and off. If the fan is too small for your application then it's just going to run all the time. I'm pretty sure the thermostat starts to crack open at like 175-180, and is fully open by 185.

did you drill the steam holes in the heads and use a head gasket to accommodate the steam holes?...if not a 400 will most likely have overheating problems in traffic....

The "ideal" temp for an engine is 175. This is the best compromise between power, wear and overall performance.

If you drag race you go colder (cold water/hot oil), looking for MPGs go higher.

I would use a 160 stat and set the fan to maintain the 175 temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor