Status
Not open for further replies.

H33ZY

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2019
Hey Guys,

like i've said before i will be in the US end of April for a couple of days and now i'm trying to think of stuff for my Monte Carlo i should buy to take home with me so i can safe on Shipping costs etc. I'm thinking about small parts like wheel bearings, spark plug wires and such ..

Could you help me to find out which parts one should have in stock and maybe also where I can order them?
I thought about ordering stuff at AutoZone and have them deliver it to the Store near my Location (Pottstown PA).
(Or ordering from Rockauto etc. to my Sisters Place)
Unfortunately I only have one piece of luggage so I'm not talking about alternators and whole engines, even if that would be really cool. :banana:
I would be very grateful for your help.

Henry
:notworthy:

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'd probably place an order with a NAPA around your sister's place. Rock would rape you on shipping charges, and I don't trust the 'A' stores' parts.

Reactions: 1 users

H33ZY

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2019
I'd probably place an order with a NAPA around your sister's place. Rock would rape you on shipping charges, and I don't trust the 'A' stores' parts.

Thank you! Never heard of NAPA before but there is a store at my sister's place and i'm going to check them out!
I have a bunch of "Car-Guy-Friends" over there so they're sure going to help me out too.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Most places you reach a certain $$ and shipping is free. Besides you don't want to deal with customs - that x-ray wouldn't look pretty.

• Agree

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Go through your car and make a list of what needs attention. Consider fan belts, tune up parts like rotor and distributor cap, radiator hoses, brake pads, maybe an HEI spark module. Door hinge pin kits. Small bulbs. Tie rod ends and an idler arm? Spare keys.

• Informative

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I would be looking at electrical stuff. Wheel bearings are not specifically "wheel bearings" they are a universal part that fits. So I would expect you could find one anywhere in the world that would work. Look for stuff SPECIFIC to your car. Finding chevy engine parts anywhere in the world may be a challenge too.

• Informative

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thank you! Never heard of NAPA before but there is a store at my sister's place and i'm going to check them out!
I have a bunch of "Car-Guy-Friends" over there so they're sure going to help me out too.
www.napaonline.com if you want to preview what they sell. Some of their parts suck *ss, but most are top notch.

I agree with bracketchev1221 about Chevy Monte parts that may be tough to find elsewhere. Not sure about the difference in shipping costs, Check with places like Dixie Restoration Depot and Mike's Montes that might have some small specific parts you might need and with shipping it might be a whole lot cheaper? I don't know. Throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks. We'll have you bringing over 2 extra empty suitcases shortly!!!

• Agree
  • Haha

H33ZY

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2019
Thank you all for the Help!

Most places you reach a certain $$ and shipping is free. Besides you don't want to deal with customs - that x-ray wouldn't look pretty.

I know that there sometimes is free shipping, i've had my 3inch OPGI Springs shipped for free - but just to Texas since it doesn't apply to international shipping. They wanted $500! just for Shipping to Germany. Thats why i used a German shipping company which shippes out one container to Germany every month. Thats also how i got my OG Wire wheels.
And I also know that I can only import goods worth $500 with out having to pay Taxes.. i'll hope to stay beneath it :rofl:

Go through your car and make a list of what needs attention. Consider fan belts, tune up parts like rotor and distributor cap, radiator hoses, brake pads, maybe an HEI spark module. Door hinge pin kits. Small bulbs. Tie rod ends and an idler arm? Spare keys.

I´ll write this stuff down and check how the condition is on those parts. I actually going to change a fan belt next week, also going to redo all the coolant and change my valve cover gasket in the hope that the engine stops spilling oil. Thank you for Helping out!!

Declare that the parts are a gift. For your car.

:D exactly what i´m going to tell. But i don't think they will care about that if you "import" stuff.

I would be looking at electrical stuff. Wheel bearings are not specifically "wheel bearings" they are a universal part that fits. So I would expect you could find one anywhere in the world that would work. Look for stuff SPECIFIC to your car. Finding chevy engine parts anywhere in the world may be a challenge too.

It's actually not that hard to find stuff, its just the import charges that makes it an expensive Hobby. But i will go through my engine compartment and take a closer look at all the things that might need replacing. It's hard to figure out what you might need if everything is in working order. But i'll sure have closer look. Thank you!

www.napaonline.com if you want to preview what they sell. Some of their parts suck *ss, but most are top notch.

I agree with bracketchev1221 about Chevy Monte parts that may be tough to find elsewhere. Not sure about the difference in shipping costs, Check with places like Dixie Restoration Depot and Mike's Montes that might have some small specific parts you might need and with shipping it might be a whole lot cheaper? I don't know. Throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks. We'll have you bringing over 2 extra empty suitcases shortly!!!

A couple years ago i brought home a trunk lock cover and some chrome parts that i orderd and had shipped to my sister. This year i already have some custom made Monte Carlo floor mats laying at my sisters place. I always - if i need to - order parts via. Summit or Jegs .... the only thing is the shipping/import rates that going to rape my wallet every time. Thats why i try to get some stuff state side to save on shipping.
I'm going to have a closer look at my engine i might figure out what needs to be replaced in the near feature .. i'd love to get me some new bucket seat foam since my driver seat is pretty worn out. But that won't fit in a luggage .. might buy a second one after all .. just like you've said :LOL:

Last edited:

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I would take inventory of needed plastic do dads in the car (radio knobs, trim, etc.) Take a day and do a multi salvage yard crawl for little interior items you may need.

Admittedly, it's getting harder to find 80's cars in the yards let alone late 70's, but I love a good Saturday junk yard junket (my wifes version of hitting the mall)

I also second the NAPA store recommendation. They sell car parts for mechanics. When you ask for a tranmission part they don't run to a computer and start asking for year, make, and model, they just know what you're talking about.

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor