REGAL Thinking of redoing woodgrain

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Hi All,

I’m thinking of redoing the exterior woodgrain on the wagon as part of the restomod. The finish they selected after the collision is not original, and is considerably lighter than the original woodgrain. While I don’t hate it, I can’t say I love it, either.

Now that I’ve gathered most of the missing trim pieces and moulding, I’m thinking if I’m going to re-install the mouldings, and re-position some of the rear badging, it might be a good time to re-wrap the woodgrain. I’ve thought about trying to hunt down NOS vinyl sheeting, but I’m concerned after 35+ years, it may be brittle or have deteriorated adhesive. I found this link with some multi-purpose woodgrain sheeting from 3M that seems pretty close to the original.
https://www.customautotrim.com/vinyl-wrap/wood-grain-vinyl-wrap/

What are y’alls thoughts? For reference, pics of the wagon below.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I point you to repop carpeting.

It looks great out of the box, but after 2 or 3 years in the sun, fades like nobody's business.

For some reason, the factory stuff holds up so much better than anything the aftermarket turns out. That vinyl may look nice and rich now, but after a few years in that Cali sun... you may regret it.

Once the original is gone, there's no bringing it back.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
ck80, the wrap that's on it now is NOT original. It's been garage-kept for most of its life. Like I said, I'm kind of on the fence about it. There are a lot of other things I'd rather spend my money on for the time being. In some ways, the lighter woodgrain has kind of grown on me. And in terms of car shows, if some really nit-picky guy comes up to me and says, "That's not the original woodgrain." Then I can say, "You're right, it's not" and can strike up a conversation.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
ck80 And in terms of car shows, if some really nit-picky guy comes up to me and says, "That's not the original woodgrain." Then I can say, "You're right, it's not" and can ask him where his car is so I can pick it apart.
Fixed that for ya ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
https://www.wrapdirect.com/wood-effect-wrap/

If you cannot find NOS wrap you are comfortable with?

Yeah, Gotta love [NOT] people that walk up to a great looking car and just have to find something wrong with it. I've only entered my 87 in one car show after I finished the big block conversion and [somehow] managed to win. It was a fairly small show, less than 20 cars in my class but some damn nice cars. One guy actually complained about my 442 floor mats being after market, of course the big block was a problem until I reached in and let them see how it was running off the CCC and 87 ECM, and then what it would do as I left. Judges liked it though . . .:whistle:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Some how I thought just the one fender wasn't original and was a different color than the rest of the car.... maybe my memore is playing tricks on me. Wouldn't be the first time.

As long as it was stored properly I wouldn't be too concerned about the wrap being nos... after all nos decals are used all the time on 80s cars.

Probably harder to buy online though since who knows what it's going to really look like when it shows up...

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The car looks great to me as-is.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor