Thinking of selling my wheels and tires, what's a fair price?

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
1665119658437.png

1665119695631.png

So I've had these in my garage for a couple of years, and I've more or less decided there's no real reason to keep them as I don't think I'll be getting another Cutlass in the future to use them on which is why I was saving them. I switched to the Year One 17" Olds Rallye wheels, and highly doubt I'll ever go back to the 15" wheels and tires.

For consideration are five (5) wheels, with BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires as follows:

2 - 15" x 7" Wheel Vintiques Chrome SSIII Rallye reproductions with P225/60R15 (fronts) excellent condition, no dry rot, or cracking, etc. approx. 80%+ tread left see pics/video
2 - 15" x 7" Wheel Vintiques Chrome SSIII Rallye reproductions with P245/60R15 (rears) excellent condition, no dry rot, or cracking, etc. approx. 80%+ tread left see pics/video
1 - 15" x 7" OEM 85-87 442 Chrome/Gold SSIII Rallye with P245/60R15 (spare) brand new condition, never been on the car, still has lettering on tread see pics/video

The WV wheels were purchased new, and in excellent condition with OEM center caps.
The 442 wheel was bought used and is not perfect, I simply bought it for a spare and never got around to repainting it black to match the WV's. No center cap.

Of note is after buying the 442 wheel for a spare, I realized it uses slightly different wheel backspace and offset from the WV wheels.

The 442 wheel 4” backspace 0” offset
The WV wheel 4 ¼” backspace (+¼” offset)
The Year One 17" wheels on the car now are 4 ½" backspace, just an FYI.

Anyway, so I washed the dust off them off today and am looking for what would be fair asking price for either the set (of 4) WV wheels/tires, with or without the 442 spare wheel/tire.

I'm not in any particular rush (or pressure) to sell them, and would surely sell the 442 wheel on it's own if someone needs one, or for a spare (it's not perfect, has some rust spots).

I will only sell wheels with tires, and as local pickup (Long Island, NY)...shipping would be pretty much out of the question unfortunately.

I would really like to see them go to someone that's going to put them on nice project Cutlass who's a fan of the "period correct" look with the 15" wheels/tires.

Thanks in advance for comments/feedback...

1665119749717.png

1665119777916.png

With the YearOne 17" chrome rallye's I replaced them with...FYI

1665120654892.png

1665120698737.png

Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Just my opinion, but, depending how long they were on the car, plus sitting for a few years in the garage, first thing I'd look at as a buyer is the production date on the tires.

5-6 years old and you're gambling on belt separation, which wouldn't have anything to do with cracking or dry rot. Tire can look perfectly fine on the OUTSIDE but have issues with the compound breaking down inside as it's driven on. Actually had it happen on a c10. Ever since.... well, I'm a big believer in 6 years then the tires go.

That's a long way of saying that, depending when they were made, of the car isn't a trailer queen those tires may be a liability to a buyer costing them dismount and disposal fees.

As far as the rims go, if they're as nice as they look I'd be thinking on the high side you could aim for $400 for the set of four, and $75 on the 442 rim. Might end up doing some dickering and take 400 for it all.

Insisting on a long Island pickup really hurts the market too, lots of guys just don't want to deal with the gas, tolls, and hassle of heading out there.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Just my opinion, but, depending how long they were on the car, plus sitting for a few years in the garage, first thing I'd look at as a buyer is the production date on the tires.

5-6 years old and you're gambling on belt separation, which wouldn't have anything to do with cracking or dry rot. Tire can look perfectly fine on the OUTSIDE but have issues with the compound breaking down inside as it's driven on. Actually had it happen on a c10. Ever since.... well, I'm a big believer in 6 years then the tires go.

That's a long way of saying that, depending when they were made, of the car isn't a trailer queen those tires may be a liability to a buyer costing them dismount and disposal fees.

As far as the rims go, if they're as nice as they look I'd be thinking on the high side you could aim for $400 for the set of four, and $75 on the 442 rim. Might end up doing some dickering and take 400 for it all.

Insisting on a long Island pickup really hurts the market too, lots of guys just don't want to deal with the gas, tolls, and hassle of heading out there.
plus, they're reproductions, not originals, but I think ck80 nailed it

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Nothing really to add but I really like the look of those. I have a set of them on my Delta 88 only 15X8. Last I heard Wheel Vintiques shopped reproducing them, but I can't confirm that. So maybe if someone was afraid of not being able to find them any longer, they might be more pressured into purchasing yours. Good luck with the sale.

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
I had purchased 2 brand new ssiii 442 rims from a Chevy/GM dealer in Lakewood nj sometime in the early 90s I think. I sold one a few years back for about $200, if that helps.

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ

Like my that were 6 years old.
Not fun at 75mph

1665148428204.png

Reactions: 1 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
View attachment 208335

View attachment 208336

So I've had these in my garage for a couple of years, and I've more or less decided there's no real reason to keep them as I don't think I'll be getting another Cutlass in the future to use them on which is why I was saving them. I switched to the Year One 17" Olds Rallye wheels, and highly doubt I'll ever go back to the 15" wheels and tires.

For consideration are five (5) wheels, with BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires as follows:

2 - 15" x 7" Wheel Vintiques Chrome SSIII Rallye reproductions with P225/60R15 (fronts) excellent condition, no dry rot, or cracking, etc. approx. 80%+ tread left see pics/video
2 - 15" x 7" Wheel Vintiques Chrome SSIII Rallye reproductions with P245/60R15 (rears) excellent condition, no dry rot, or cracking, etc. approx. 80%+ tread left see pics/video
1 - 15" x 7" OEM 85-87 442 Chrome/Gold SSIII Rallye with P245/60R15 (spare) brand new condition, never been on the car, still has lettering on tread see pics/video

The WV wheels were purchased new, and in excellent condition with OEM center caps.
The 442 wheel was bought used and is not perfect, I simply bought it for a spare and never got around to repainting it black to match the WV's. No center cap.

Of note is after buying the 442 wheel for a spare, I realized it uses slightly different wheel backspace and offset from the WV wheels.

The 442 wheel 4” backspace 0” offset
The WV wheel 4 ¼” backspace (+¼” offset)
The Year One 17" wheels on the car now are 4 ½" backspace, just an FYI.

Anyway, so I washed the dust off them off today and am looking for what would be fair asking price for either the set (of 4) WV wheels/tires, with or without the 442 spare wheel/tire.

I'm not in any particular rush (or pressure) to sell them, and would surely sell the 442 wheel on it's own if someone needs one, or for a spare (it's not perfect, has some rust spots).

I will only sell wheels with tires, and as local pickup (Long Island, NY)...shipping would be pretty much out of the question unfortunately.

I would really like to see them go to someone that's going to put them on nice project Cutlass who's a fan of the "period correct" look with the 15" wheels/tires.

Thanks in advance for comments/feedback...

View attachment 208337

View attachment 208338

With the YearOne 17" chrome rallye's I replaced them with...FYI

View attachment 208339

View attachment 208340
In my area.....I could see those easily bringing $600......likely more if you wait for the right buyer.

Reactions: 1 user

Kukkumon

n00b
Oct 7, 2022
Changing and replacing your tire rims can cost anywhere from $200 to $500 per wheel, or $800 to $2,000 for your entire car. The exact price of the service will depend on the kind of car you drive and the shop that you choose, but it's unlikely that you'll find a shop that will replace them for less than $200.

anonigviewer

bingenerator

Last edited:

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I say keep them... one day you will regret selling them for sure, and besides, they look much better on the car in stock form then those aftermarket rims.

I have american racing thrust II 17'' on my malibu... they came with the car when i bought it, they're ok, but i'd seriously like to go with the 15"x8"/0 offset polished version with BF's all around and all the same size.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor