Third brake light ideas for Wagons/El Caminos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
So I found a few closed threads here showing third brake lights for Elco's. I was wondering if any of you that had wagons have either installed or were thinking of third brake lights. I know some of you are going "Why?" as the fact that they weren't required new, why mess with putting them in afterward?

My feeling is some now-mandated safety equipment is a good idea, even as a retrofit. Third brake lights and shoulder belts are among them, IMHO. Here's one idea I had to embed (French) a few LED strips into the top of the tailgate. Forgive my primitive Photoshop skills. Thoughts? (On the concept, not my Photoshop skills :mrgreen:)

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
There are several options to mount a third brake light.You may have to fabricate a custom bracket to do so

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
http://jandlenterprise.com/products/brakelighter.htm
0611171231.jpg

i'm using this one in my back window,it's pretty slick.it can be used w/turn signals too.check it out.

Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Looks cool, but I don't know if it would work on the wagon. Unfortunately, there's a lot of junk in my way, including the latch mechanism, lift handle, etc. I found another Elco on the web somewhere that has a a roof-mounted CHMSL (third brake light) that looked pretty cool.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
Yes like that, I have a 1981 El Camino SS ,.And I`m either going to mount it there Or in the center top .So it can be seen when I haul cargo.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
If you mounted it at the top of the glass (inside) it wouldn't be in the way of the latch etc.i think those brake lights that mount on the roof look kinda cheap and just stuck on there.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
Not if you take one of "Street Rod" ones Like the one pictured in the ,And flip it over with a custom bracket. Its what us "Car guys" do.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'd flush a strip of LEDs into the wing if it were mine. The mini-truck crowd used to do that on the rear edge of the cab. It can be painted over to match, and the LEDs shine through the paint.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
MVC-748S.JPG
MVC-746S.JPG
View attachment 83052 I mounted a Volvo wagon third brake light inside, above the glass hatch. I'm not using the air deflector so it works well in my situation.
I fabbed a small plastic bracket that slips under the moulding.

When I was still using the deflector, my plan was to cut a slot in it and set in an LED strip.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
View attachment 83052 I mounted a Volvo wagon third brake light inside, above the glass hatch. I'm not using the air deflector so it works well in my situation.
I fabbed a small plastic bracket that slips under the moulding.

When I was still using the deflector, my plan was to cut a slot in it and set in an LED strip.

I like that light, what year Volvo did you borrow that from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor