Third Brake Light- " Melted" > Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
The issue has happened on my vehicle, a 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham (Show Vehicle); "Third Brake Light" > 'Melting the module along with the reflector and socket. I had to purchase the entire housing. To eliminate any further issues of the same, I used fire retardant paper (FLEXDura HT® High Temperature & Heat Resistant Paper) which withstands temperatures from 400°to 800° F. The paper was placed at the direct heat points: 1.) In front of the reflector, just behind the bulb socket ( On shiny side-”Face”). 2.) Secondarily, a piece was placed on the inside of the module roof to disperse the heat away from the socket and bulb. After twelve years the bulb failed. Upon opening the module assembly, “The reflector, bulb socket, and housing were brand new. Replaced the bulb, all’s well.

* Hope this may help some.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You could use an equivalent LED bulb to eliminate heat issues.

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
Third Brake Light 025-3.JPG
No melted wiring harness.
Third Brake Light 009-1.JPG
LOOK at the reflector after twelve years.
Third Brake Light 006-2.JPG
[ You can notice some discoloration from the heat but reflector is like new.
Some pics to denote the facts. Using the 7506 LED may cause resistance issues.

86MCSS86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2014
Mine melted. I have since replaced the parts with nice used pieces and an LED bulb. I think one reason it melts is because it uses a smaller bulb not the 1156.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor