third brake light problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutMonRegMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
My 3rd brake light blinks when i have my turn signal on. The problem just occured any ideas what this might be?

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
CutMonRegMan said:
My 3rd brake light blinks when i have my turn signal on. The problem just occured any ideas what this might be?

Your sig says you've got two '84s and an '85. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the third brake light wasn't standard in the G-Bodies until at least 1986 (my '85 Grand Prix hasn't got one, though my brother's '87 Regal did).

Therefore, I ask... is it an aftermarket add-on? I had one of those aftermarket third brake lights in a '77 Caprice, and it caused no end of trouble for me until I ripped the thing out. If it isn't original equipment, I'd check to see how it was wired in.

AJ

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
Many aftermarket 3rd lights have what's called a "logic" circuit to distinguish a turn signal from a brake light signal. That probably went bad and is causing your issue.

The cheapest easiest way to fix this is to run a wire from the stoplight switch location to the 3rd light, splice into the hot lead for the brake lights.

This should send a signal from the brakelights only and forever solve the problem.

Good luck

CutMonRegMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
When i hit the brakes my hazard lights stop working as well is that normal? it appears none of my bulbs are out.

CutMonRegMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
CutMonRegMan said:
Your sig says you've got two '84s and an '85. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the third brake light wasn't standard in the G-Bodies until at least 1986 (my '85 Grand Prix hasn't got one, though my brother's '87 Regal did).

Therefore, I ask... is it an aftermarket add-on? I had one of those aftermarket third brake lights in a '77 Caprice, and it caused no end of trouble for me until I ripped the thing out. If it isn't original equipment, I'd check to see how it was wired in.

AJ
Yeh its an aftermarket upgraded but it looks to be oem equipment thou. But i'll be home later this week to look and see how its wired in before i go rip mine out as well. :twisted:

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
CutMonRegMan said:
When i hit the brakes my hazard lights stop working as well is that normal? it appears none of my bulbs are out.

Yeah, that's normal. What should happen is that, when you hit the brakes, it overrides the hazard lights. So that, you know, people behind you can tell that you're braking.

AJH

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
yep normal. abnormal is when they blink left to right when you put the hazards on. It looked like ghetto sequential lighting. Never figured out why it did that but I had the rear lights rewired and then i did them twice. It had a couple of issues :oops: . had a trailer hook up and i refused to remove it. thus my problem.

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
ryanwitski said:
yep normal. abnormal is when they blink left to right when you put the hazards on. It looked like ghetto sequential lighting. Never figured out why it did that but I had the rear lights rewired and then i did them twice. It had a couple of issues :oops: . had a trailer hook up and i refused to remove it. thus my problem.

I had a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta-88 that did that. At least until I ripped it apart and rebuilt it. Never did figure out what the problem was.

AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor