This has to be the dumbest question about interchangability, but I will ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Washington

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2019
West Orange, New Jersey
Good morning,

I am finding it difficult to locate body parts for my 1979 Hurst Olds that I am building. I believe that I have found a nice complete vehicle to use as a parts car, however, it is a 1979 Cutlass Supreme. My question (as noted in the title) may be dumb but I want to be sure. Are the only differences in the body the grille? Are the headlights, tail lights, filler panels, etc the same on all models? Are there differences that I may not be realizing?

Thanks, and please try not to laugh too loudly.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There are no dumb questions. Only dumb people asking questions. :)

As far as every single difference between a Calais and Supreme, I couldn't tell you. But you well know what differences your H/O has vs. the Supreme you're looking at. Especially the grilles/front header panel. Depends on what parts you need from the old car to your H/O. Fenders, quarters, windows, doors, most interior parts will interchange. Trunk lid, hood, frame, radiator support, etc.

I really have no desire to thumb through the parts books to see what differences there are. There can't be a whole lot since it was just a trim level.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Good morning,

I am finding it difficult to locate body parts for my 1979 Hurst Olds that I am building. I believe that I have found a nice complete vehicle to use as a parts car, however, it is a 1979 Cutlass Supreme. My question (as noted in the title) may be dumb but I want to be sure. Are the only differences in the body the grille? Are the headlights, tail lights, filler panels, etc the same on all models? Are there differences that I may not be realizing?

I am sure glad you asked this question and took a bullet for us 1979 H/O guys.....okay just me and you then.
Yes I have sat and thought just as you what is the differences and it seems there is just enough to make it difficult, okay challenging,
to find the parts we need for our H/Os.

One of my bad habits is buying parts for a car that I "THINK" will fit......and find out later they don't. Then it's either resell or toss in the box of wrong parts.:cry:
Good money spent on wrong parts is a true kill joy for my hobby. I really get upset when sellers, both individuals AND companies ASSURE:cool:(y):roll: you the parts
will fit. Note the first 3 letters in the word ASSure. How many times have I been left holding the bag? Too many. Even places like Ebay where you can
place your search criteria right down to the VIN number and they still say the parts fit, when they don't.:mad:

So it's like a crap shoot ...and when I get a wrong part, I say more than just "CRAP' and "shoot". So do your homework....ask LOTS of Questions..:blah: and grab
a rabbit and rub ALL FOUR FEET ........and maybe you will be lucky. (y):giggle:

Reactions: 1 user

Charles Washington

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2019
West Orange, New Jersey
Good morning,

Thanks all...just for clarity these are the parts that I am interested in:
  • All interior from the dash to door panels to kick panels
  • Front and rear bumper filler panels
  • Tail lights
  • Headlight bezels
  • All reveal molding
  • Real fuel filler panel/license plate holder
  • All screws/bolts for these parts
Here are a few pics of where I am:
dsc_1069_40327907063_o.jpg dsc_1593_32446527487_o.jpg dsc_0431_46307245004_o.jpg img_4833_32470296507_o.jpg

Completed and awaiting installation:
  • 532 CI Fuel injected BBC
  • 4L80e Transmission

Thanks for the assistance...

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
All the parts you listed will interchange. The only thing that may be different is the upholstery pattern on the seats and door panels, but that will not affect fitment.

• Agree

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
  • All interior from the dash to door panels to kick panels
all interior will interchange, but to be correct, upper door panels need to be from a calais, as well as seat pattern.
  • Front and rear bumper filler panels
front header and grilles are from a calais, as well as other some supremes with the egg crate grill. bumpers I'm not sure of, definitely from a calais, but not sure if supreme bumper the same, measure the width of the grilles where they drop down and compare to calais.
  • Tail lights
tail lights are technically 79 only, but 78 and 80 will bolt up. tail light bezels are specific to the lens, i.e. you can't make a 80 bezel fit a 79 lens.
also, the 79 h/o bezels were molded in matching body color, white for white/gold cars; black for black/gold cars. i tried painting chrome bezels, but the paint may flake off.
  • Headlight bezels
headlight bezels, all 78-79 cutlass bezels interchange, coupe, sedan, wagon, supreme, calais
  • All reveal molding
all are calais or supreme with w-29 option, which i believe is the wide wheel well molding vs. the narrow wheel well moldings. i believe the supreme broughams had this option. the wide moldings may affect the the length of the large chrome trim that sits in front of and behind the moldings.
also, the rear window reveal moldings were painted white on white/gold cars, black on black/gold cars.
  • Real fuel filler panel/license plate holder
all calais and supreme coupes are the same.
  • All screws/bolts for these parts
if it fits it should work.

basically the H/O was a calais with a 350 engine, gold paint for the accent color and the H/O emblems in place of the calais emblems. oh, and of course the dual gate shifter.
if i missed something, i'm sure someone will add to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor