This is why you check EVERYTHING when doing a transmission rebuild!

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I bought a nice used TH400 pump on eBay for about $100. It was described as good and used, and it was disassembled in the pics which confirmed the condition of the pump gears and such. This thing would have been easy to hit with a little brake cleaner and install. However I pulled it apart to check all of the ports, bushings, and restrict the converter feed, and put in a new pressure relief spring. As I was tapping the converter feed hole prior to cleaning it up, I noticed that air blown into the port to clean out the tapped metal chips caused the chips to be blown back out of the port toward me. The converter feed slot was plugged completely off with the 'crud' in the pics. A person not knowing what to look for would have installed this clean pump and likely cooked their new trans. As you work on this type of stuff try to make sense of how it works. You may just find a hidden issue.

gunk1.jpg
gunk2.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, with your power level, it would show up in a hurry. Much like a motor, the sins of the last destruction can end the life of the next build.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Did you let the guy know what you found? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor