Those with 8.2 rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
Hello,
Can ya'll give me pointers on making this 8.2 fit. The do's and dont's.
Thanks for you time and help.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
What’s the width? And what is it out of?

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
What are your plans with the car? Drag car, street car, or both? Either way id give these guys a call. Theyre local to me and everybody that I know thats used them has nothing but positive things to say about their quality and customer service.
They're sponsors here and very helpful. I think the 8.2 is a bit wider. Youll need adjustable control arms and roto joints on the axle side atleast to fix instant center. I think the spring perches are close enough to use. My research led me to believe the 8.2 is only marginally stronger then the 7.5 10 bolts. Especially if you have the 7.625" and 28 spline axles.They have the same size pinion shaft(1.438"),c clips, and 28 spline axles. The 8.2 does have bolt on wheel cylinders so thats a plus. Other things to consider are is it a LSD rear end? If not do you care? What wheels are you using and will they fit with a wider rear end? What condition is the 8.2 in? If you start adding tgese things up it can get expensive quick.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
What are your plans with the car? Drag car, street car, or both? Either way id give these guys a call. Theyre local to me and everybody that I know thats used them has nothing but positive things to say about their quality and customer service.
They're sponsors here and very helpful. I think the 8.2 is a bit wider. Youll need adjustable control arms and roto joints on the axle side atleast to fix instant center. I think the spring perches are close enough to use. My research led me to believe the 8.2 is only marginally stronger then the 7.5 10 bolts. Especially if you have the 7.625" and 28 spline axles.They have the same size pinion shaft(1.438"),c clips, and 28 spline axles. The 8.2 does have bolt on wheel cylinders so thats a plus. Other things to consider are is it a LSD rear end? If not do you care? What wheels are you using and will they fit with a wider rear end? What condition is the 8.2 in? If you start adding tgese things up it can get expensive quick.
It will be a everyday driver, 6.2.
I have the rear end from another project. It has been rebuilt already. Just sitting here taking up space.
I have not bought my wheels yet. So, it would only cost me what it takes to install it.
Also has disc brakes.
Thanks, David

Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
It's not worth the effort for an 8.2. An 8.2 behind a 6.2 is just as much of a time bomb as a 7.5 plus the parts to fix it are harder to find and more expensive.
If it was a 71-72 A body 8.5 or a 65-72 Chevy 12 I would say go for it. But a 64-72 Chevy 8.2 is not something I would invest time and money into. On my own car I am putting a Ford 8.8 as it is probably the best bang for the buck these days.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
For a daily driver I'd stick with the 7.5 because I don't see a big advantage using an 8.2. But that's me.

I think you'll have oodles more money trying to get the 8.2 in there than if you beefed up the 7.5.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
It will be a everyday driver, 6.2.
I have the rear end from another project. It has been rebuilt already. Just sitting here taking up space.
I have not bought my wheels yet. So, it would only cost me what it takes to install it.
Thanks, David
If your really set on using it call SSM. Theyll build what you need or send you in the right direction.The LCA mounting points are off so you need something to compensate that difference like a roto joint. You also have to deal with instant center.To give you an idea this is what trick chassis sells to swap foxbody 8.8s in. Kind of the same thing except the UCA are way lower on the 8.8. https://www.trickchassis.com/product/8-8-swap-kit/

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I personally wouldn't deal with an 8.2 BUT since you have one ready to go why not. You can do a search on the forum there has been plenty written.
Also get in touch with the Prime Minister (pontiacgp ) he runs one in his.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor