Thoughts on coated piston skirts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Looking at a shortblock for the wagon, has sealed power coated skirt pistons in it. Anybody have long-term experience with these?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
They are the cats *ss at the moment. It wears off though.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
Spoke to David Vizard about engine coatings in general a few years ago....his answer was: "you won't find an uncoated part anywhere inside a Formula 1 engine"......pretty much explains whether they work or not....

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Coatings Are great. For however long they last. Never saw any in a 50,000 mile engine. In a short term application they’re great

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
My concern is just where all that coating goes and it's possible detriment to bearings. etc over the long haul

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
I got a set of wiesco pistons in my 406 ,they are 8 years old lived on the circle track their whole lives up until last summer and they were sprayed with nitrous all last summer ,plus driven on the street and the coating is still on them ,alot has to do with running good oil and taken care of the motor regardless of coating or not

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor