Thoughts on under dash heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobM

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2016
Ozone Park Kid
I'm thinking about removing the ac/ heater box on the fire wall. Putting a ac/heater delete plate and with that stiffing the fire wall. Mounting a under dash heater to the duct inside the car so all the vents work and wiring the switch to the stock fan switch.. I found this under dash heater that summit has for sale https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991102-1 . Also I figured it looks clean having a smooth fire wall, plus there's engine room when the time comes to swap.
'87BuickRegal-0002 (2).jpg

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Reactions: 1 user

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
That Summit unit is the same one I put in my CJ-5.
Chinese mfg, plastic housing.
No way for defrost only the way it comes, you just get a blast of air out of both holes.
Would need to fab ducting and a selector mechanism.
Motor is a bit noisy, but it does move some air though.
May want to consider a cable controlled shutoff in the coolant line as hot coolant will always be circulating thru the unit when the car is running.
For a drafty Jeep it works well as I can now see out the w/s in the winter.....

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I have one in my Malibu. It works ok. I have one side ducted to the defrost vents and the other to the floor. They don't reduce the humidity at all so you have to open a window.

I would say they are for making race cars streetable and don't work as well as the stock design.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor