Thoughts on Wheel Spacers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I currently have rims that rub on the front of my 88, sit too far inboard. I may also use them to space out the rear rims on my 70 Cutlass S if I put back on the 14" aluminum rims. What do you think about these?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07W5DZ6NS/?tag=rippca-20

Last edited:

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
They're absolutely fine when everything is cleaned and torqued properly, When I was doing the drifting thing I had the privilege of watching some very high power cars eat walls with 2"+ bolt on spacers. I never saw a spacer break.

The only thing you might run into is possibly have to shorten your studs a little if the wheels you have don't have any relief area. Other than that, bolt them on and enjoy.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MontesbyE

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2020
North Carolina
I currently have rims that rub on the front of my 88, sit too far inboard. I may also use them to space out the rear rims on my 70 Cutlass S if I put back on the 14" aluminum rims. What do you think about these?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07W5DZ6NS/?tag=rippca-20
I have 1/4'' spacers all around on my monte. no problems with them. I needed them to push the rim out due to shallow center cap that kept getting popped out by the hub. They are just thick enough to do the job, just a flat plate to put in there. Didn't mess with the lugs at all.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I put those things on everything. The wagon has spacers/adapters (came with the Ronal R15s), the HellKitty has adapters turned into spacers, the Monte has spacers, the TBSS has adapters turned spacers, and Natasha's Camaro is going to end up with a set too.

I prefer to use long studs over the additional failure points offered by the extra studs. This is a totally subjective opinion.

And always hub-centric.

Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Spacers are fine. No issues at well over 600whp and none are hub centric. I would say hub centric would be better, but not needed.

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
All the hub centric part does is reduce runout (wheel shake) and makes bolting the wheel on easier. Once the wheel is torqued on the clamp load of the studs holds the wheel and no load is supported by the hub. If your lugs loosen the hub isn't going to help.

However, I would 100% look for hub centric ones. It makes alignment so much easier.

If you go to the wider (1" or more) style, they will offset the studs and you have to tighten two sets of lugs. On those it's best to put them on, drive for 10-30 miles, and get some heat in the brakes and then pull the wheels off and retorque the lugs holding the spacer to the spindle/axle.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
All the hub centric part does is reduce runout (wheel shake) and makes bolting the wheel on easier. Once the wheel is torqued on the clamp load of the studs holds the wheel and no load is supported by the hub. If your lugs loosen the hub isn't going to help.

However, I would 100% look for hub centric ones. It makes alignment so much easier.

If you go to the wider (1" or more) style, they will offset the studs and you have to tighten two sets of lugs. On those it's best to put them on, drive for 10-30 miles, and get some heat in the brakes and then pull the wheels off and retorque the lugs holding the spacer to the spindle/axle.

My brother is 3D printing hubcentric rings for just this reason. If the plastic melts... so be it.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If you guys who drive like maniacs have no issues, I should be fine, I may do all 4.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The main thing to avoid would be any cast aluminum universal slip on type of spacer.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor