Throttle position sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Both my old 231 and current 305 are black.

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Hello everyone I am trying to get a straight answer regarding throttle position sensor. I'm looking to buy a 1980 Buick Regal 3.8 v6 231 with a dual jet carburetor. So was I'm looking over the engine I notice there is no throttle position sensor plugged into the carb on the front right there's a gap. And I have one on my 82 Regal same engine same carb.he told me my carburetors set up to where it does not require one the car does idle rough and I was just wondering is there such a thing as a vehicle not requiring a TPS sensor? And the answer would be greatly appreciate it before I buy this thing. Thanks a lot
I’m pretty sure that the Buick 3.8 (231) didn’t start coming with the computer controlled carburetor system until 1983, A pretty simple 2 barrel Rochester sounds about right for a 1980 231 c.i.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I’m pretty sure that the Buick 3.8 (231) didn’t start coming with the computer controlled carburetor system until 1983, A pretty simple 2 barrel Rochester sounds about right for a 1980 231 c.i.
All US sold GM gas passenger cars had a computer starting '81, limited models (emission needs) had a computer in '80.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Let's try to restore some order here. :mrgreen:

As I noted, the build sheet shows that this was a 1980 California car with California emissions which means it came from the factory with a computer. The carburetor looks correct for that, it shows the connector for the Mixture Control Solenoid and the (empty) slot for the (missing) TPS that should be there (but isn't). But -- I see NO sign of the computer wiring harness anywhere in any of those pictures of the engine and engine compartment. In other words, somebody seems to have removed the computer, or at least the harness.

It won't get through smog without the computer installed and the harness hooked up to all the gadgets (including TPS). (Unless of course you find a crook doing smog.) You can't get it registered without smog first.

That's my take, anyway. based on what I've seen.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It won't get through smog without the computer installed and the harness hooked up to all the gadgets (including TPS). (Unless of course you find a crook doing smog.) You can't get it registered without smog first.
Have to remember the OP is not in California so the smog check is likely not a show stopper. From what I've seen it looks like someone took what they ehought was the best parts of different carbs to make one.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Have to remember the OP is not in California so the smog check is likely not a show stopper.

He isn't? Where is he, then? He seemed to be saying to me that he is.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
With the carb being kitbashed together with parts from God knows what, plus the likely altered wiring, the OP's car is sadly a basket case that will be hard for us to diagnose online. The car will need a good going over as there are likely more surprises in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor