BUILD THREAD THUNDER Torque Buffering

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Gutless

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2017
Utah
About 7 Months Ago I got my First G Body. Love at first Drive. I eventually Made it home too!

I got it on a Straight across trade for a Beater, 92 Ford F150, (Single Cab, Long Bed RWD, 5 speed, 300ci Big 6)

The Car was Beautiful so of course I thought that there had to be something mechanically wrong but it was so nice looking that I was already planning on Trading anyway.

I test drove it and it was Amazing made the Trade. It was Like 100 degrees in the Salt lake Valley and I had a 30 Mile Drive Home. Halfway home Water Started Spraying out of the Hood on the Passenger side. No, Temp Gauge and the Warning light came on too late. The Car Stalled from heat and Left Me Stranded on the Road.
The Previous Owners must have thought the Car was dead and felt pretty good taking my Old beat up truck.
They had filled the reservoir to the Brim but the Radiator was empty.

This Car Started it's life as a Diesel 350 and the previous owner went through all of the Effort of Changing to a Gasoline V8 which is Awesome. But of all of the Magnificent V8 engines in the World they Chose a H.O. Olds 307. Who knows What year it is. Carbureted Gen 1 With 5A Heads and the A4 Intake.

At least when the time Comes and She is ready and I have the Money. An Engine swap should be no Sweat

Reactions: 1 user

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I love it!! Looks like a solid foundation to start a project! Its awesome to see some of the 4 Door G- Bodies out there! Sucks about your initial drive home, did the engine survive the drive?

307 Gutless

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2017
Utah
The First thing was to get it Going.
I ended up making a new friend at the right time. I knew nothing About Old American Cars. the 82
He is a Garage Mechanic and he knows the Ways GM to an insane degree. He made me realize that Mechanics/shops usually don't care about anything but money. Seeing things done the proper way, making sure parts are clean and surfaces are prepared. Using the Correct products and tools.

Anyway the Car needed tons of Maintenance.
Radiator, Heater Core, thermostat and Housing, Coolant Hoses and the Water Pump.
After doing the Water Pump He says, "Might as well do the Timing set. we're already here"
So we did and at Like 2 AM after a long day she didn't leak Coolant anymore.

The Next things Were new Indexed Spark Plugs. Ignition Wires, Cap and Rotor. Set the timing to 20 degrees.

Then for Fun, Cut off the Muffler and threw on a Glasspack, the Car has No Catalytic converter because ti was a Diesel. I bought a Holley 4160 600 CFM Carb from a 72 Ford and Rebuilt it.
Carb and Rebuild Kit with the Adapter plate only ended up costing $75 or so. The carb was $20!

307 Gutless

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2017
Utah
I love it!! Looks like a solid foundation to start a project! Its awesome to see some of the 4 Door G- Bodies out there! Sucks about your initial drive home, did the engine survive the drive?

It sure did. Holding together quite well. It's just Slow as crap mostly because of the Diesel Car gearing.
2.14 Rear Gear and 3000 RPM Shift Governor.

Last edited:

307 Gutless

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2017
Utah
About that Gearing! Seriously.3 speed Auto with a 3000rpm shift governor and 2.14 Rear! I never new his sort of thing was Around. It's not a freaking Big Rig

I want a Transmission and rear end that can Handle real power I want 400 Plus HP and torque. It's just a dream number for me so I'm going to do it. But for now I wanted to make Due with what I have While I'm saving up for those things.

I found that it will stay in gear if I leave it in 1 or 2 until I shift it as a way to beat the Shift Governor. So I decided to Install a Tach. $10.99 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HCB7K26/?tag=gbody-20

The only complaint was that the Light was insanely bright so someone recomended getting a Cheap chinese Dimmer Switch,
it was basically just a Potentiometer in a huge box for $2.
So I took it apart and Set it to a good Brightness and Put it in a much smaller plastic box and tucked it back in with my wires.

Now I can shift at 4 Grand if I want to. or downshift on a hill safely, Thank Goodness. I was hesitant do do any Manual shifting without a Tach it does over 60 in First!
Why don't these things have Any gauges?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Sounds good! It always helps to have someone who knows a little more than you around, what are your plans for this car? are you going to keep it stock or do some modifications? i know all about the terrible gearing, my 79 cutlass has i 2.24 rear i believe, i cant even do a burn out haha BTW awesome steering wheel!

307 Gutless

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2017
Utah
Sounds good! It always helps to have someone who knows a little more than you around, what are your plans for this car? are you going to keep it stock or do some modifications? i know all about the terrible gearing, my 79 cutlass has i 2.24 rear i believe, i cant even do a burn out haha BTW awesome steering wheel!

My Dream would Be a 12 Bold A body Rear with 3.73 Posi.
a Tremec 6 speed Manual
And a Big block 455.

But If the Deal is right I'd be happy with a High powered Small Block Olds or Any big block.
I think a Manual 4 door would just Be Pure Awesome. But If I end up getting a Turbo 400 first for $$$ reasons I'll survive.

Since it already has a non original engine I have no Qualms about Completely changing the drive-train.
I want that Old School Stance Low in the Front and Big fat tires in the back.

I want the Car ready to not Grenade when it gets power so I want a Better Trans and Rear first. then the engine. Also Nitros. I've always wanted Nitros.

Very next on my list is completely Replacing all of the Front suspension Components. I already bought a Kit that Has almost all of it.

That Wheel cover Makes it Fun, I also have Fuzzy handcuffs on the dash, Leopard print Dice in the mirror and I put a 12"kicker L5 with a Properly matched Amp to make all Kinds of Boom noises.
My License Plate is THUNDER. LOL

Last edited:

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
A better rear end is a must if you're planning on going with big power,a six speed would be nice as well, I'm partial to manual transmissions, I'll be doing a 4 speed swap in my MC soon, and I agree a 4 door manual would be the ultimate sleeper!! And totally badass haha a front end suspension rebuild is probably the best thing to do, the bushings and everything is worn out probably haha well I'll be watching this build and I look forward to seeing your progress. BTW you might want to introduce yourself in the 'New User' forum just to get that out of the way haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor