Tie Rods replacement???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
It looks like I need to replace the inner and outer tie rods on my 1979 Malibu is there a good procedure to changing these out like measuring the new ones with the old ones and what brands are good ones I was thinking maybe like MOOG this is like a street daily driver car?THANKS

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Any of the good name brands. I dropped mine out as one piece and replaced it all at once. Put the new ones together to the exact same length.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Get all new stuff- end to end, take all the old out in one piece, assemble the new stuff, and line it up on the floor. Reinstall as one assembly. Tie a string between 2 jackstands the length of, and parallel to the frame. Measure the distance to the string from the front and back edges of the sidewall; adjust tie rod ends accordingly. Done. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
while you get what you pay for, i don't get crazy with price. moog has some great parts with a long warranty.
i like other also recommend replacing the tie rod adjusting sleeves. you don't have to dick with rusted parts and you can assembly and match the length of the new inner/outer tie rod assembly with the old assembly. makes life a lot easier.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I use a set of those but some don't want to spend that kind of money, I had mine made by a machine shop owned by one of the race teams.... :popcorn:
Your Moogs are $20; these are 35. Yeah, it's another $15, but hardly breaking the bank.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor