Tilt at hiway speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Drove the el camino last night seamed to have something to do with stearing.
I had a friend who a mechanic drive it.
Once around the block he told me the slop in stearing wheel cause by leather strap between shaft and stearing box.
Which was made worse by somebody tightened the adjustment on srearing box.

He told me when you turn the wheel ir should come back it dosent.

Sorry i did a awful job explaining it.
Thanks for the patience

Fix one thing at a time. If the rag joint is shot, then replace it and retest. If it doesn't want to return to center, then find out why and fix it.

Your description of everything new doesn't get it for me. A steering system that doesn't return to center can be just about everything including the alignment. But be advised, you cannot have the alignment set correctly if you have worn out components, i.e. ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Why not replace the whole steering shaft and rag joint and upgrade it with one from a Jeep Cherokee? There are multiple threads on this upgrade, I did it and it made a big difference in the steering.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor