Tilt - Did Something Break

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
-86SS, stock
I hit the gas a little too hard while holding on to the top of the steering wheel. The tilt mechanism skipped and I pulled the wheel down so it was touching my lap. I was able to lock it back to normal but have not tried to force it down. Is it possible to overextend the tilt downwards and defeat the latch without damage or is something in the tilt worn or damaged?

Note to self - make sure my back is firmly against the seatback before unleashing all of the Monte's 180HP.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't think you had it locked in place when you pulled it down, you need to stop eating spinach.....;)

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
My Cutlass will do the same thing at times. Its just worn out/loose internally. One of these days I'll get around to rebuilding the thing....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
My regal been like that for 18+ years
Never looked at it just said won't do that again but I forget and it happen the last time I was out and was like oh yeah dumb a$$ don't do that lol

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Yeah like the above mentioned, my 79 malibu has also done that too. But in all fairness i was pulling myself forward in seat when it happened ! As long as you dont make a habit of doing that it will be fine until you get around to looking at it

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
My 442 does the same thing if I grab the wheel while I'm tryin to get my fat a@@ out of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor