Been waiting for this video to drop.

And not an LS in sight.

Reactions: 7 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I understand it’s a purpose built race car, but just can’t get over the ridiculous shopping cart handle wing and the plywood splitter. I mean seriously, he could’ve done better there.

That being said, major kudos for running an Olds engine. Looks like the UMI Performance Green Machine just might have some competition. Also would sound so much cooler with a turbo spooling up between shifts and a wastegate blowing off.

Me likey.

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I stumbled on the guy's videos a few weeks ago when he posted that he bought the track. Local drag photo guy I know shared the video and I thought it was pretty cool. He is up near Superior WI so only a couple hours away for me. He is right about there not being much for tracks in that area of the country.

I chatted with the Cutlass guy in '19 at the Car Craft show when it was still semi stock looking. Mild olds 350 and a mustang 5 speed running the autocross. It was NOT that intense (sans wing and splitter). It had super basic suspension stuff on it at the time and demolished a lot of the big dollar suspension parts cars. He literally just had speedway dirt car tubular uppers cranked in for max camber, tall lower ball joints and moderate performance oriented tires. It has undergone a COMPLETE redo in the last 2 years.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Cool car. He'll be running the track I ran back in April. He's in for a rude awakening: the apex on the NASCAR bank bottoms the car out HARD. We live with it in our cars, hit it 105+ and the car wiggles a little but we don't have any aero to sacrifice. I'm now curious to see how he deals with that. I really should sign the old Camaro up for something more high profile to go beat down the folks who have way more time, money, R&D, and pride invested in their rides.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Pretty good for what was originally a fat, lumbering vehicle. What a transformation, even with a goofy wing and cobbled together splitter. Murdered a lot of cones anyway- probably from the too-wide splitter over-reach, but that's expected collateral damage during life at the track.

Looked like a lot of fun, though.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Pretty good for what was originally a fat, lumbering vehicle. What a transformation, even with a goofy wing and cobbled together splitter. Murdered a lot of cones anyway- probably from the too-wide splitter over-reach, but that's expected collateral damage during life at the track.

Looked like a lot of fun, though.

Ultra wide splitters and autocross don't mix. Time Attack leaves a lot more room for maneuver, the really competitive cars go even wilder on the aero.

mca-suspension-nissan-s13-(2).jpg

Form follows function.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I stumbled on the guy's videos a few weeks ago when he posted that he bought the track. Local drag photo guy I know shared the video and I thought it was pretty cool. He is up near Superior WI so only a couple hours away for me. He is right about there not being much for tracks in that area of the country.

I chatted with the Cutlass guy in '19 at the Car Craft show when it was still semi stock looking. Mild olds 350 and a mustang 5 speed running the autocross. It was NOT that intense (sans wing and splitter). It had super basic suspension stuff on it at the time and demolished a lot of the big dollar suspension parts cars. He literally just had speedway dirt car tubular uppers cranked in for max camber, tall lower ball joints and moderate performance oriented tires. It has undergone a COMPLETE redo in the last 2 years.

I fell into the channel after Natasha got her Camaro. Seems like a pretty down to Earth dude.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I understand it’s a purpose built race car, but just can’t get over the ridiculous shopping cart handle wing and the plywood splitter. I mean seriously, he could’ve done better there.

That being said, major kudos for running an Olds engine. Looks like the UMI Performance Green Machine just might have some competition. Also would sound so much cooler with a turbo spooling up between shifts and a wastegate blowing off.

Me likey.
Agreed with the asthetics, BUT, they're also using a base cutlass as their starter vehicle so again, better choices...

It's not my cup of tea, but, if they designed plus built those parts theirs elves rather than just using someone's templates makes a difference in the credit you give them too.

Last edited:
  • Agree

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I've been following him for a while. Humble guy. The wing & splitter were/are attempts to help his times & did the job. Not sure I could afford top tier materials for just trying things out either. That being said, once proven functional w/what you used, it already works so he moved on to more important items on the list. It's a cool build & will get better w/improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor