HELP Time for ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
OK, 81 Malibu coupe, OE fuel tank/cap/lines. No emissions present. Fuel line clear to tank, vapor line to (former) charcoal canister uncapped. Carb well plugs sealed, new mechanical fuel pump replaced with another new one. With fuel in the QJ bowl, fires right up. Sits a day or 3, extended crank time, sometimes have to fill carb bowl from a squeeze bottle, fires immediately. If you pull the fuel line at the carb prior to cranking, it's empty. I tried a check valve in the hose between the OE tank hardline and pump because i thought it might be siphoning back to the tank, did not appear to make a difference.

This is essentially the same setup (Dualjet instead of QJ) as the wagon, which does not give me this problem, My walnut sized brain is out of ideas at this point. I COULD put an electric pump on it, but would rather not, and I really want to know what the deal is.

WHAT am I overlooking?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Love in all the wrong places. Put FI on it and forget about about it.

Kidding aside, it's losing fuel out of the bowls. Where is it going? Into your intake and then evaporates. You have a leaking needle and seat.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Been replaced twice, and float level checked. I did read somewhere last night that a suggested cure was removing the clip from float to needle...have not tried that . SO looking forward to pulling the airhorn off again :roll:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you have a windowed seat for your needle try a non windowed seat.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor