time to change stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Do not want to steal any ones post but just realized my 40 year old car that is 95 % all original will be needing somethings to be changed I have changed exhaust from cat back rear springs and shocks and the fan belts got changed this summer . What else should I be looking transmission filter spark plugs ? any other ideas are greatly appreciated it is a a 1980 olds 442 with 40,000kms so like 25000 miles have a good day Jeff from Winnipeg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
COOLANT along with COOLANT HOSES. If not, you're on borrowed time. You already did the belts, so you should be fine there.

Rear end gear lube probably wouldn't be a terrible idea. Transmission? Why? Most people will tell you if you change the fluid/filter, the transmission won't be the same again. If it shifts fine and smooth, I wouldn't mess with that, at least not at the moment. If you have to go in anyway for something else, might as well.

Plug wires- do an ohm check and physical condition check. Cap/rotor and plugs are probably fine, but check their condition.

Check your windshield wiper rubber too. If that goes t*ts up on you there's a risk of scratching a windshield.

Brake fluid for clarity. If it's super dirty, it could be from corrosion/moisture. Also, power steering fluid for any excess condensation. Like milky fluid, or if it looks like someone melted a gummy bear in the reservoir.

I would also do a front end grease job just to make sure the stuff didn't crust up and get too old.

Just some ideas to check.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
thanks never thought about the brake hoses wiper rubbers need to be changed but it does not get driven in rain. coolant I changed when I bought it 3 years ago and I grease it when I change the oil and I use Joe Gibbs oil for older cars with a GM oil filter

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
All fluids need to go, even the trans. The way I do it is change out the filter, overfill 2 quarts, pull the return line off of trans and into a gallon jug. Fire it up until the jug is full. Dump in another gallon and fill another couple jugs until it comes out nice and clean. Using the transmission's own pump won't knock loose any deposits like the machines seem to. I purge PS similarly. Old broken down fluid isn't good for anything. Old brake fluid has a lower boiling point than new ad well. A tune-up is always good, i.e. plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Check timing and advance, how's the carb doing? In need of a rebuild?

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree with 69hurstolds to leaving the transmission alone. Unlike the engine oil that gets contaminated with gas there is nothing to contaminate the transmission fluid. The transmission fluid does not break down over time and it actually keeps the transmission clean.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I agree with 69hurstolds to leaving the transmission alone. Unlike the engine oil that gets contaminated with gas there is nothing to contaminate the transmission fluid. The transmission fluid does not break down over time and it actually keeps the transmission clean.

What do you base your assessment of trans fluid not breaking down over time on?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What do you base your assessment of trans fluid not breaking down over time on?

cause I have seen transmissions go forever without a problem and then some does a change of the transmission fluid and the month after their doing a transmission rebuild and as far a aamco goes they do not have a great reputation and I bet they are noit talking about the transmsisoon fluid that they used in cars 40 years ago

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
cause I have seen transmissions go forever without a problem and then some does a change of the transmission fluid and the month after their doing a transmission rebuild and as far a aamco goes they do not have a great reputation and I bet they are noit talking about the transmsisoon fluid that they used in cars 40 years ago

Some cars live forever, some don't. That's not good logic to support that claim. Case in point, the 4L60/700R4. The guys seeing failures after a flush either used the machine which I'm told uses a high line pressure or their trans was headed south anyway and their too little too late effort to save it failed. I've used my method numerous times as have others that recommended it to me and I've not heard of a failure doing it this way. New fluid > old fluid all day. OP is actually a particularly good candidate here. With such low mileage he probably doesn't have much, if any clutch deposits anywhere in that trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor