time to swap engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobM

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2016
Ozone Park Kid
Well my '87 buick regal limited, it's coming to that time to swap the v6(or rebuild it) or swaping to a v8. I have a bad engine knock v6 and being a car guy, it doesn't sound good at all. I was thinking of having the 231 v6 rebuilt and putting goodies into it. Or then there's the other route by replacing the v6 with a v8. If I go the route of a v8 does anyone know of a place that I can't bring and engine or if they can get one and do an engine swap? I so miss having my garage and all the goodies that was in it. Divorce really does suck! Back to my car and engine question. I'm located in farmingdale, ny and so is the car. I'm looking to get a chevy v8( 350 4bolt if possible) and have someone install it. Or if someone here on the forum would like to do the job, I have no problem with that route. I'm not always on the forum so you can email me at [email protected] and we can go from there and talk.

Thanks for your time, help and input, Rob

Attachments

• '67 vette rims mounted-001.jpg
    '67 vette rims mounted-001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It sounds like getting a stock rebuilt 231 installed at a place that will provide a warranty would be your best bet but far from the least expensive option.
Typically a swap to a SBC can be done very cheap but if you have to add labor costs for doing a V8 conversion it can get very expensive very fast and nothing carries over from your Buick engine.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The SBC swap has other knock on effects. Like when the transmission pops.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, the TH200 is on borrowed time even behind the 231 V6, let a lone a V8. The Buick 350 is a completely direct swap for the 231. It depends if any exist in your area in good shape. For some reason a bunch came up here, even with aluminum intakes and high performance builds. A warranty sbc GM crate motor is the only belly button motor to consider, especially with someone else doing the install. You need accessory brackets, mounts, manifolds or headers and new exhaust for a sbc transplant as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It should be a 200R4 in there if it is original.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It should be a 200R4 in there if it is original.
I thought the TH200C stayed with the 3.8 till the bitter end. That makes a Buick or sbc 350 even easier. A couple of upgrades and the dual bell housing pattern makes the swap much easier. I would step up to 3.42 or better gearing as well. If the rear gears are left alone, change the oil and add Yukon hardened spider gears. The stock ones are soft and can explode under strain.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I thought the TH200C stayed with the 3.8 till the bitter end.
I believe you are right, I was just thinking my 86' came with one but it did have the powerful 307.
That's what I get for assuming after a certain year it would have just came with one especially since that era was all about fuel economy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor