Timing for Buick 350.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Hey all. I was wondering, how do you time a Buick 350? Is it more or less the same for all V8 engines? I do know they like to run 10 degrees more advanced(?) than the factory put them at. Also, how do I orient the crank and cam timing marks? Do the dots have to be the crank facing up and cam facing down? im confused. First engine build that wasn't a lawn mower.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, same as most V-8's, line up the dots so they are closest together (bottom) and lined up to the crank/cam centerline. A 350 Buick may tolerate more timing, but being an undersquare motor, (more stroke than bore) the factory used very conservative initial timing. High compression motors used very little, like 0-4º btdc, low compression used more, like 12-15º btdc. I had a '68 350 that was timed at 0º btdc, but then liked the vacuum advance hooked to full manifold vacuum.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I do have it bored 30 over, so it is now a 3.83 bore and 3.85 stroke. i'll play with it ia bit. as long as I got initial timing set for the first fire up, im good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor