timing for Olds 455

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
What's a good timing setting for a Olds 455 with Edelbrock cam it has Hei distributor with stock plugs, in process of changing the plugs to Ac Delco r46sx. my mechanic has the timing set at 20 degrees. just wonder is that's good.
also what brand oil filter are you guys using I like Ac Delco for my chevy motor. not finding a good Ac part number for the Olds.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Wix 51258 or Hastings LF222. You need to see what curve is in that distributor. Some have similar to a sbc or Olds points curve. Some have 14 to 16 mechanical advance built in. Get a dial back timing light, set the total around 34 to 38.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
How much total timing does it have? How does it start hot?

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
A fully tuned distributor will have at LEAST 3 things. Timing during cranking, idle, low load cruising and max power.

When is your engine at 20? With no vacuum advance during idle? If so, that's a tiny bit high but if the spread in the mechanical system is say 20, then you will have 40 at high rpm. Too high.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What is your compression ratio?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor